Fuel sight tubes

In January I decided to order new fuel sight tubes from FD. I knew I would pay a little more than if I went to the local auto parts store but figured it wouldn't be that much more, they would have the markings on them, be cut to length, etc. This was a back order item but I wasn't concerned because I wouldn't need them until August when my annual is due and I will pull the wings.

The package arrived about a month ago but I didn't open it until yesterday as I had been gone for awhile. The tube was not cut to length, just a single 15" piece. No big deal, even a caveman can handle a cut to length. Other than "made in Germeny" the tube isn't marked either but, that's OK. Probably better to mark them myself during an incremental known fill. So far so good. Then I dig out the invoice and find this cost me , are you sitting down because I should have been, $19.60 USD per foot!!! No, I didn't hit the wrong keys and your glasses are fine. $11.86 for a bucks worth of tube and $12.64 to send it UPS. It could have been sent U.S. Mail for 10% of that! Now, if this was a special material that would never darken with age when using the recommended mogas, that would still be OK. But, from what I've seen on this forum, it, too, will turn dark in about a year.

Now, I should have asked at order time, how much will this cost? But, I didn't because who would have thought anyone would have the nerve to ask $24.50 for a bucks worth of tube?

Bottom line, it's my fault. I didn't ask. But, FD could have and should have said 'just go to your local auto parts store." They didn't. Buyer beware. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Still a great airplane and a great company. This just got my knickers in a knot and I had to get it off my chest!!

John,

with all due respect, I am not sure what else you could conceivably expect.

Stocking, warehousing,handling, packaging and shipping from Germany??

This is not North America!

Let's say, it was a 10 minute job to do the whole order, shipping for $12 seems cheap and the material including the time spent another $13?

I would say that it is reasonable giving that they went through the whole order.

Just my opinion..........

Cheers,

Jos

Hi Guys,

I did some research about 1.5 years ago looking for better tubing. I talked to 5-6 tubing Mfg's and each with a different material and they all said that any of the clear tubing's no matter the material would stain with the dye in 91 oct. Seems like just about a year or so it starts to look a little too dark.

• 1 year later...

I realize that some time has gone by since the last post on the sight gauges but I have a slightly different issue with them. Maybe someone could shed some light on the issue of the fuel quantity stickers that are right next to the sight gauges. It appears that both of my gauge stickers are on too low making it appear that there is more fuel in the tank that actually is there by about 2 gallons on each side. When my tank read 3 gallons I drained from the sump and only got one gallon out ( the one tank was dry so everything that I got out was from the tank that read 3 gallons.

Is there a template that accurately locates the stickers that show the fuel quantity?

I think the 1 gallon marker should be right at the bottom of the sight gauge but my one gallon marker is below the bottom of the lower fitting on the sight gauge, any comments or better ideas?

Larry Minch

Cottonwood, AZ

Hi Larry. During the 5 year rubber replacement I decided to really figure out how much fuel remained in my tanks while I had my wings off and all fuel removed. When I re-installed each wing, I started with the left wing, filled this up wiith 3 gallons of fuel and then opened the gascolator until I saw fuel flowing. At this point, I used a paint pencil and marked the sight tube with a line that tells me that there is "3 gallons remaining". Before going to the right wing, I drained the left wing until the fuel could barely be seen at the bottom nipple for the sight tube. I opened the gascolator and timed how long it took for all the fuel remaining to be drained. It took about 15 minutes for this. As the fuel in the wing diminished, I noticed that the flow also diminished due to the reduction in pressure. Still, the flow was above the FD minimum all thru the final drainage. I was surprised by the amount of fuel remaining in the tubes running down the pillars but then I read somewhere in Flight Design literature that the fuel tubes in this area are oversized to act as reservoirs to hold adequate fuel to supply the engine even when the fuel pickups in the wings might be left dry by banking during landing with very little fuel remaining. By measuring the fuel in this manner, I won't get so anxious when I see the fuel rising and lowering and bumping the bottom nipple in my sight tubes, knowing that adequate fuel remains in the pillars to supply the engine during the periodic low excursions of the fuel. I will also know the point where there is an accurate 3 gallons of fuel remaining (6 total), which is my minimum and means I'm landing at the nearest airport.

Note: I realize that this method still leaves variance in the measurement of fuel in the system since the fuel tanks are not isolated totally due to them being linked by the "T" fitting which allows fuel to fill up the opposite pillar. By marking the sight tubes where I have 6 gallons fuel remaining onboard, I feel that I have enough reserve left to safely get back on the ground and find fuel.

HI Runtoeat,

Thanks for the commentary on the fuel quantity and flow. My issue is a little different although if I had marked the sight tubes as you did that would solve the problem.

On the ground sitting absolutely still and level if each tank reads 3 gallons according to the sticker there is actually only one gallon per tank. That is all I can drain out of the bottom of the fuel gasgalator. So it looks like 6 gallons total but in reality there are only two gallons. I think the stickers that are on my SW are positioned too low by about 2 gallons each. That is why I was wondering if there was a template that got the stickers in the proper position. So my solution is to remove the stickers and place them about 3/8 of an inch higher so that when it is critical to know what is left in the tank I won't think there is 3 gallons per side when there is only 1 gallon per side.

Your method of marking the sight gauge is the best solution but I will move the stickers too.

Larry Minch

Flying Bozo

Cottonwood,

AZ

• 1 year later...

I wouldn't worry about the location of the stickers. I mark the sight tubes directly with a black permanent marker when refilling the tanks after the tubes are replaced. I pick a couple of strategic fuel levels. Last time I used 4 and 9 gallons per side. Then, I mark the stickers at the 4 and 9 gallon indications to remind me what the marks on the sight tubes mean. I find that if I interpolate between the two marks on the sight tubes, I get accurate figures between the two fuel levels. WF

Update. I called FD and the currently approved fuel sight tube material is Tygon fuel tubing, which is tinted pale yellow for identification. I was told that this material provides good transparency in spite of the tint. I ordered some from Lockwood.

FD no longer offers the harder material suggested by Tip.

Roger Kuhn

I still use and so do most people I know the original clear poly tubing. You have to pull the wings every two years any way so just change it then. The Tygon tubing still stains, too, but it starts life already hard to see through. I have people ask me to remove it when they come for maint. $.75 for each tube verses $11. Not a hard choice. If you can't see the level well enough in flight then it 's more of a hindrance than a help.

The Tygon formulated for gasoline is tinted yellow. See http://www.hoseline.net/hose/fgpvc.htm

I'm not sure clear Tygon has the same resistance for gas with ethanol. Having had a bad experience with deteriorating new fuel hose on the five year rubber change, I'm wary of anything not specifically formulated for gas. On the other hand, maybe the clear tygon is just fine.

Roger Lee, where do you get the clear poly you're using? Is this just hardware store stuff?

Roger Kuhn

Hi Roger,

We have been using the poly tubing right out of the hardware store (Ace Aviation) and we all use ethanol. It is 3/8" ID and 1/2" OD. You can find at most stores thin wall and thick walled tubing. The thin wall is much easier to use. It just sits there, not under any pressure and I have never heard of one failing. Quite a few of the Trike and Ultralight people use this for their main fuel lines. I'm not a proponent of that, but it does show that it works.

• 3 weeks later...

On post #20, I mentioned trying NSF-61 polyurethane. I purchased some and it will not work. It's a stiffer tubing and will kink with the small turn radious required on the CT sight guage. I've gone with Roger Lee's suggestion and installed hardware store poly tubing.

Roger Kuhn

Archived