Afton, Wyoming to Sun-nFun

N89WD

I just returned from a trip to Lakeland. I left on March 21st to attned the "earthrounders" renuion at Chalet Suzette (X25) in Lake Wales, FL. I am planning a trip around the world from East to West. Any rate at the renuion there were aviators from Brazil, Austraila, Germany, France, Spain, UK, Mexico, Italy, all over the World, including my newest buddy Bob Gannon. Each day we would depart X25 for Plant City, which is 7 miles from Lakeland. ATC cooridnators would brief the group to do a group arrival into Lakeland. We had everything from a Leer to the CT, and everything inbetween. I took different people to Plant City each day since not all earth rounders flew their own aircraft into the US. I hung out with a cool guy from Austria who lives a few miles from the Rotax plant. He is departing next month on his trip around the world with a rotax 912s. He was truly blown away by the performance of the CTSW. We zoomed out of the 2500' turf strip over to Plant City, received our briefing. We were poised to depart behind the Leer and land behind a C-130 in a cross wind (of course), Harmouth my Austrian buddy, was amazed at the handeling qualities of the SW. His aircraft is a low wing, retractable, constant speed prop and said his plane is only 5 knots faster. The trip was uneventful, with no mainteance problems. We also flew into "Fantacy of Flight" and toured the world's largest display of flyable aircraft owned by 1 person, his name is Kermit. I flew the oceaninac route Q100 from Galliano, LA to Tampa then direct to X25. 440 miles of ocean and tons of fun. Made it back home to Afton, today April, 2nd. Looking forward to my next x/c. Also the boys at the FD booth all say hi. They had the best free snack at the show. The new C4 looks pretty amazing and larger than I expected. Should be flying in 6 weeks or so according to John. They are deciding who gets the avionics bid. I encourage each one of you to get out there with your CT's and find your favorite overnight spot and just do it. I've had my CT down to Jamaica, Caymans, Mexico, Bahamas, all over the US. I can tell you the hardest thing about x/c flying is picking a place to go! Have fun everyone!

Wow... 'quite a XC! That was some SERIOUS ocean flying. Flying solo? Altitude? Survival gear? Spot? Satellite phone? Tell us more!

Tim

I took a buddy with me, also had 2 FAA approved vests, when east bound at 5500/6500 west bound (oceaninac flying). I carry a Spot to check in and "just in case". It was a great fun expierence. Sun-n-Fun was on the bucket list, most likely wont return. I would recommed it to all, go and find out for yourself but fly your own plane!

Archived