Taking my Bride to Catalina/Avalon!

coppercity

Hi Eric, I fly there frequently. I have a YouTube video with a landing and takeoff that you can watch. Catalina's runway is 3000 feet long. The prevailing winds usually mean runway 22 will be in use. Straight in landings on 22 are highly discouraged. Catalina is essentially 2 Islands, the isthmus between the two is the typical aiming point when approaching from due east (Palos Verdes / San Pedro / Long Beach area). As you approach land you then head south toward the airport arriving and entering the pattern (2600 ft) on a 45 downwind. You'll make a right base and a right final for 22. Airport elevation is 1600'. The winds can swirl at times and also have a sudden down draft. Most folks get into trouble (accidents every year) usually due to low approaches or overshoots (cliffs on both ends). A slightly higher than normal approach leaves you more options. (100' AGL at cliff threshold 1700 MSL is a decent rule) Runway is fairly narrow (so you'll think you are a bit higher than you really are). Once down the runway has a crown. Sometimes first time visitors will think they are about to run out of runway (and brake too hard). As you reach the peak you'll see that you still have 1000 feet to go. While there is no tower control there is always an attendant in the tower who will tell you what runway is in use. Runway is in a little rough shape (could use repaving) but its more than adequate. At times there is heavy traffic on weekends so be sure to communicate often. Its not uncommon to have many in the pattern, all talking, no one seeming to listen much! I love the flight, anytime someone visits me in So Cal I take them there. You have a nice flight over the ocean, the cliffs, the unique aircraft carrier in the sky, a nice restaurant and gift shop, friendly folks and lots of pilots around shooting the breeze. Avalon is a fun town to walk around, eat and overnight. I think I have been to Catalina about 50 times, never by boat, only by air. Landing is $20 to $25 (not remembering which). I have an annual pass ($150 a year) and go 10 or more times a year. Enjoy! Its a fun place to visit! Bus ride down to Avalon is about a 40 minute drive.

Landing Catalina:

Takeoff Catalina:

I was there a couple of weeks ago. They just repaved the runway at AVX I think. I find that I tend to come in too high, so fly by the numbers to avoid that trap. Its $25 to land. I figure 4500' is high enough to glide to shore worst case in a ct. If you plan to shuttle into town its about a one-hour ride, and I would call ahead. The airport cafe is pleasant.

WF

Thank you all for the helpful information! We are looking forward to the trip. Planning on staying a couple days to enjoy the sights. I will post some pics when we get back!

Cheryl and I will have to arm wrestle to see who gets the first landing!

• 2 weeks later...

We had a great trip! Highly recommend the flight. It is certainly an interesting airport to land at, a little pricey on the landing, parking and transportation fee's but its worth it. The whole island is beatiful, Avalon is a ton of fun full of great places to stay and eat.

We stopped in Ramona for fuel on the way out since there are no fuel services at Catalina, flew to the island, then flew all the way back to Bisbee non stop. Gotta love the CT economy!

We were watching your spot track... 'haveta make that trip sometime. It looks like you'll be busy Memorial Day Weekend - I see the AZ Pilots are invading your airport for a fly-in. We'll see you, too, but we're coming down Sat-Mon. It's not Catalina, but we're looking forward to the trip. Dinner's on us, and we'll pick your mind about Catalina!

Tim

Almost forgot about that! Well you guys are welcome to use one of our cars this weekend if you like. The airport lost its courtesy car last year. I'll talk to Cheryl and see if we can fit in dinner this weekend, that would be great but have to consult the schedule.

Archived