Swiveling Passenger footrest prototype

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Tom C. just told me he has two more foot rest he made and ready to sell. $180. I have one and my wife loves it and so has my other passengers.

Contact him in Tucson, AZ 520-465-9000

p.s.

I think these are the last two he is going to make.

• 5 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Just saw this... plane doesn't arrive until the Fall.  My #1 passenger will be my 26 year old son who has Special Needs... and one of my big worries is him pushing on the rudder pedals accidentally.  What an incredibly smart solution.  How can I buy one please?  Well done.  Thank you, Andrew

• 1 year later...

Sully,

I sent several mails, no replies.  Here is a photo of one I saw in a CT that was in the Woodstock facility for repair.  It is extremely light and ingenious, however, it is not the bomb proof design that the metal one is.  I built one like the one in the photo (I don't have a pic of it sorry), haven't tested it out yet however. 

Pedal Cover.jpg

1 hour ago, AGLyme said:

Sully,

I sent several mails, no replies.  Here is a photo of one I saw in a CT that was in the Woodstock facility for repair.  It is extremely light and ingenious, however, it is not the bomb proof design that the metal one is.  I built one like the one in the photo (I don't have a pic of it sorry), haven't tested it out yet however. 

Pedal Cover.jpg

I don't like that this design continuously blocks the pedals, with no way to get it out of the way.  I guess you could hook the crossbar with your ankle and drag it toward you to get it away from the pedals.  The flip-down type is pretty easy to make with a bandsaw, a rivet gun, and some sheet aluminum and piano hinge.  I like it much better, and all my passengers have loved it.

I've been looking for a solution for this too since my trip to Oshkosh this summer.  My buddy is 6'2" and his only complaint was a comfortable place to rest his feet.

I've got a machine shop with a metal shear and will see if I can whip one up this week. 

I can fabricate one from the pictures but if someone has drawings it would save me some time.  I'm assuming aluminum?

If there is enough interest I may do a short run for the forum members.

Glad this thread was resurrected, I wouldn't have found this otherwise!

FM, I agree that the metal option is a superior design.  The PVC version is extremely light, it comes up easily and it can easily be stored in the CTLS hat rack shelf or rear storage.  My plan is to use it only when my oldest son flies with me.  It is more of a "guard" than a "rest", i.e. I don't want him to kick the rudder pedal(s) while landing/takeoff for example.  He has CP.  

OK,    The popular metal version is made out of steel, it weighs about 10 pounds if I recall.  It is beefy and the plate (folded in the photo) pops up covering the rudder pedals and is a legit "rest".  I saw one up close once, impressive design.  If anyone is building one, please add me to the list.  The attached photo is the one I saw in Woodstock I think... 

FD Pedal Cover.jpg

FM, do you think the stiffness/strength is good enough?

I just got back from taking measurements and making a construction paper prototype.  I shortened the part under the heels so it stops at the hinge.  That way the storage compartment can be opened when the foot rest is up.  If anyone can think of a reason that's a bad idea I'm all ears.

Interestingly, in my plane(2008 CTLS), the flat portion of the pilot side foot well is smaller in width than the passenger side by about an inch.  It is my understanding that these planes are hand built but I was surprised it was that much.

I will make one for each side, in case I have a co-pilot for long trips.

13 hours ago, okent said:

I've been looking for a solution for this too since my trip to Oshkosh this summer.  My buddy is 6'2" and his only complaint was a comfortable place to rest his feet.

I've got a machine shop with a metal shear and will see if I can whip one up this week. 

I can fabricate one from the pictures but if someone has drawings it would save me some time.  I'm assuming aluminum?

If you figure the metal one out and can make extra, I'd like to buy one off of you. 

15 hours ago, okent said:

I want to buy one...or two (for a buddy with an SW, he can modify to fit)