Generator light comes on in cruise at odd times

flyerg1000

The Generator light in my CTLS sometimes lights up or flickers in cruise for a few seconds and then goes off again.

This is happening more frequently now. All charge voltages and amps are indicating normal for cruise while this is occurring.

Has anyone had any experience with this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Niels

Also check the multi-pin connector.

The one on my Sky Arrow had a loose/burned connector recently, taking the generator offline:

6976081167_c67a7c723d_z.jpg

And once before water/corrosion of the plug did the same thing.

Easy to check, anyway.

Hi Niels,

You most likely have a loose ground. Tighten all 5 ground points. I have said this 100 times here: They may be hand tight , but wrench loose. Put a wrench on all of them and tighten them down.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for your reply.

For the uninitiated, it would be helpful if those 5 ground points and their locations could be be listed particularly if they are hidden and not so obvious.

As you have said it a 100 times, it seems to be a problem that should be given more attention and preventative measures.

Many thanks if you could see your way clear to share this knowledge so every CT Flier can refer back to the reference email.

Niels

The one on my Sky Arrow had a loose/burned connector recently, taking the generator offline:

Easy to check, anyway.

Hello Eddie,

Thank you for your reply and picture, also a likely candidate for this problem.

It is important for this to be rectified early in the proceeding before the pin gets to a state of

"non repairable anymore"

Niels

I just ordered some Stabilant 22 from Amazon at $88 a small tube, but it can be diluted and it seems to have a indefinite shelf life. It is used by BMW motorcycle riders and some car enthusiasts. It is approved by Canada for use in Bell helicopter turbine engines. As soon as I get it, I intend to scotch britte and use this stuff on every ground connection on the CTSW..

Here's a blurb on it.

http://www.stabilant.com/techt02h.htm

More discussion.

http://www.dewitzdia...-22a-snake-oil/

Another thread about musical applications and some of the possible alternatives.

http://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47864

I had a couple of thoughts: 1) If this stuff is so good, why isn't it better known? My A&P has never heard of it. 2) If it does work, is there anything cheaper? I suspect there might be but I'm not chemist or electrician enough to know. Deoxit and Deoxit Gold are mentioned.

I'll post my impressions after I've used it and when I go to Oshkosh I'll scout around and see if anyone knows of it.

Cirrus aircraft had (have) some miserable connectors.

A helpful, partial solution is a product called "Stabilant":

http://stabilant.com/sizes01h.htm

I make a point of a drop or so one every connector to assist in contact and to resist corrosion.

Hello Eddie,

Thank you for bringing "Stabilant 22" to our attention. Seems to be the "Rolls Royce" application for contacts.

Niels

CTLS VH-NKO

I just ordered some Stabilant 22 from Amazon at $88 a small tube, but it can be diluted and it seems to have a indefinite shelf life. It is used by BMW motorcycle riders and some car enthusiasts. It is approved by Canada for use in Bell helicopter turbine engines. As soon as I get it, I intend to scotch britte and use this stuff on every ground connection on the CTSW..

Here's a blurb on it.

http://www.stabilant.com/techt02h.htm

More discussion.

http://www.dewitzdia...-22a-snake-oil/

Another thread about musical applications and some of the possible alternatives.

http://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47864

I had a couple of thoughts: 1) If this stuff is so good, why isn't it better known? My A&P has never heard of it. 2) If it does work, is there anything cheaper? I suspect there might be but I'm not chemist or electrician enough to know. Deoxit and Deoxit Gold are mentioned.

I'll post my impressions after I've used it and when I go to Oshkosh I'll scout around and see if anyone knows of it.

Hello Jim,

Thank you for those links, very informative and I have not heard of this wonder contact application before either.

The people that use it speak highly of "Stabilant 22" in spite of the price, worth a try.

Niels

CT LS VH-NKO

• 1 month later...

The Generator light in my CTLS sometimes lights up or flickers in cruise for a few seconds and then goes off again.

This is happening more frequently now. All charge voltages and amps are indicating normal for cruise while this is occurring.

Has anyone had any experience with this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Niels

My red light was caused by a loose yellow wire that goes into the regulator/rectifier plug in. was very intermint until one day it decided to stay loose, thereby causing a precautionary landing.

• 1 month later...

My CT has just started to display this behaviour too - the first time was a 6000' over the English Channel heading for France - certainly caught my attention!

What I found was that if I pressed on the light itself, or on the aluminium panel around the light it then stopped flickering.

Mack had his light flicker and high intermittent ammeter drain. He also found one of the yellow AC wire from the engine that goes into the bottom slots on the reg/rec loose. They snap or click in place they should not pull out. Also make sure that plug is squeezed tightly in place.

• 1 month later...

Easy to check, anyway.

hi Fast Eddie,

where is the multi pin connector location exactly in CTSW?.

would you please advise me?

Hi Niels,

You most likely have a loose ground. Tighten all 5 ground points. I have said this 100 times here: They may be hand tight , but wrench loose. Put a wrench on all of them and tighten them down.

hello Roger,

where is the 5 ground points in CTSW?.

please help to advise Roger ...

These are all on the battery side. #1. one the engine frame middle screw. #2 up to the starter solenoid, #3 starter solenoid to the reg/rec., #4 up the firewall about 18" to a screw that goes into the and behind the passenger side instrument panel. Pull this panel out and you'll find the screw all the way against the firewall to the back. This absolutely must be tight. #5 tighten the battery ground.

All these grounds are to be considered loose until you put a wrench on them and check them. Hand tight is no good.

Or you can add the additional ground that we talked about in the maint. picture section that helps with all the grounds and makes a much better ground.

• 11 months later...

Archived