LightSPEED Zulu2 vs. Sierra

FastEddieB

I've been very satisfied with my two pair of LightSPEED 15XL headsets I bought on clearance back in 2003. I've had exemplary customer service, so I'm pretty much decided on LightSPEED now that I think I'm due (overdue, really) for one or two new headsets.

My decision is now whether the Sierra would be "good enough", in that I'm on a budget, and don't really need Bluetooth or anything fancy for use in my Sky Arrow.

So my question is, has anyone used the Zulu2 and Sierra back-to-back or over an extended period? Any thoughts as to whether the extra $200 for the Zulu2 is worth it?

Thanks in advance!

PS - without trespassing on "Marketplace" territory, I also might be in the market for a used pair at a good price.

Hi Eddie,

I have used the Zulu and Sierra back to back for several hours and feel the Zulu is worth every penny. I have had two Zulu in my CT's for myself and student for 4 years now and they are still my favorite headset. The Sierra is ok, but I didn't like the way the head bow fit, it seems to wide. I also thought it felt kinda cheaply made, lots more plastic like the older 3G's had and I broke several of those. The Zulu is solid and has held up well to years of student and rental pilot abuse.

2 cents

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments and advice.

Tentative plan is to go ahead and trade up one pair of my 15XL's towards a pair of Sierras, probably next month. My cost would be $350 after the $250 trade up discount.

I may find the Sierra is "good enough", and later trade my other 15XL pair towards a second pair.

But another factor is I have a very old, first gen Telex noise cancelling headset just collecting dust. LightSpeed will give me $250 for them, but only towards a pair of ZULU2's. My inclination is to go that way when the time is right and budget permitting. $650 is a lot better than $900, but still a lot of money.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback and I'll do a PIREP on the headsets as they arrive.

Sorry for the thread creep, does anyone know if any of the headset firms are offering specials at Oshkosh? I might take my old ones up on spec if that is the case. I guess I'd better check for myself but thought I'd see if anyone has heard.

TIA.

Two years ago I brought my new Zulu to Oshkosh and had a talk with the people at the Litespeed tent. I told them my problem, and they took my headset in the back and brought it out two minutes later. It was perfect after that. The difference? New ear cups that seal the area behind the jawbone. I think the new ear-cups are of this more ergonomic design. Try those first before you pay $200 for an "upgrade".

Archived