Removing Fuel Stains

My CTSW sits with one wing a couple of inches lower than the other, perhaps due to a hard landing at some point in its history. Doesn't bother me, except that if I fill the tanks all the way, fuel eventually transfers from the high wing to the low wing, with some expansion when the temperature rises, it then leaks out the vent on the low side. I've started topping off only just before a flight for this reason.

From previous overflows, I now have some faint but noticeable blue (from the dye in 100LL) and brown (from evaporated mogas) streaks on the underside of the low wing where fuel flowed. Does anyone know of any cleaning product that will remove these stains without harming the finish? I've tried just using fresh fuel on the theory that like dissolves like, but the stains won't go.

Thanks,

Russ

You may be able to use a little polishing compound and it may help some, but if the stains are in the skin like some of us they will stay and just be a little lighter in color after the buffing.

p.s.If one wing is a tad low then put. 1/2" board under the low wheel when you park. Then the wings will be level. I have seen where many think a gear is bent and the wing is a little low, but many times we park in the exact same place in the hangar and the concrete is not level. Measure out some where else.

Hey Russ,

I've had the same problem with fuel streaks. I use McGuire's Wax on the entire aircraft and have found that it takes the fuel streaks off pretty easily, especially if you do it right after a flight.

Archived