Landing Light

A while back there was a discussion about L.E.D. landing lights. Are these a plug and play or are modifications required? Anybody have a make/model/webb site?

We put one of those lights in and it was simply plug and play. The A&P said it was a pretty simple installment. I'll search out the model # and post it here. Not nearly as bright but I only fly during the day. Just using it for visibility in the pattern.

John

http://www.ledliquidatorsinc.com/MR16_3_LED_Cree_light_bulb.php

• 3 months later...

FWIW, this is the best landing light bulb you could get for the CT. Drop in, and at 700lm about 50% brighter than the other 9W bulbs out there from China which really only do 6W

http://www.peaktopeakled.com/p-a-m02xt007ec-04-2894.html

This one should be about the same brightness as a stock halogen 60W

I don't have one, but would work better without the glass cover, just need toi make sure water can't get into the LED itself so may need to seal the base/heatsink seams in it

Pricey of course.

As we discussed at the meeting at Page, I went back to look at the model number for my LED. I have noticed some feedback when I switch the landing light on. It activates the squelch on my SL40 and don't have a clue why. Obviously, I don't want that squealing in my ears the whole time the landing light is on, so I'm going to put my old bulb back in until we can find a better replacement. Maybe there's a wire touching and I'll look when I'm changing the oil this weekend, but it is unusable in the present state.

John

PS Kurt, let me know if you go for this new bulb. I'd be very interested.

The only way you can generate high frequency noise to interfere with a radio is if your bulb uses a small switching regulator (unshielded) in the base as some do. The 9W CREE one I brought does not. I don't know about this new one but it is much brighter.

Archived