Windscreen Maintenance

Roger,

What is recommended short of a multipart procedure for light work? Other than scratches what does one due for a few exterior surface foggy spots. I suspect some sort of chemical caused them. They look like a little elbow greese might do some good, but what single product do your recommend that can be apllied and worked by hand?

Ranger6

Howdy,

I have been using 210 cleaner/polish for years on my motorcycle and aircraft windshield. I use the spray cleaner for regular cleaning.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/210cleaner.php

Then every 2-3 times between the regular cleaning I use 210 polish.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/210plus.php

Then if I have scratches that won't come out I use the Micor-Mesh Light polishing kit. It is easy to use and you can't really hurt any thing and the windshield looks new.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/windshieldrestor.php

Roger, I've been looking into purchasing the Micro-mesh polish and will pick up both the cleaner and the polishing cream per your post. I plan on buying just the cleaner and polishing cream. I currently clean my windshield with microfiber rags which I constantly wash. I plan on applying the polishing cream with soft terry cotton cloth and then removing it and buffing the windshield with microfiber rags. what is your process for applying these products?

Ranger6, I have similar smudges on my side glass. It appears that someone had solvent on their fingers and touched the side windows and this left finger marks that could not be removed. I borrowed my friend's micro-mesh kit and used the 12,000 grit (yes, the number is right, very, very fine grit!). In a small spot, I used the sandpaper and this removed the marks but it also left very slight haze marks which essentially was scratch marks from the very fine sandpaper. I called Micro-mesh and talked to them about this. They said that the #210 polish would have been the appropriate method to use for removal of these finger prints instead of the sandpaper. FYI.

Micr-fiber rags are good. Use only once then re-wash and store them in a zip lock bag. Any rag will collect dust if just left sitting around.

I use soft clean cloths on my windshield. I wash them and then put them in a zip lock back to keep all dust off them. I use them once then re-wash them. I keep my windshield covered with a bed sheet when not in use. The less dust and times that you need to clean the windshield the less fine scratching. You can use the 210 polish with a hand rag or an electric buffer for a little deeper cleaning/polish. I usually just use a hand rag.

The Micro-Mesh would have worked, but you just needed to follow up with a good polish with a very soft pad with the electric polisher.

Roger, you mention the electric polisher. Do you use the polishing pad shown as part of the Micro-mesh that is shown on Aircraft Spruces picture or do you just use a generic pad that can be used in an electric drill motor? Just trying to set up with the proper equipment for maintenance of my CT. Thanks.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like Plexus spray from Sporty's used with dupont fiber wipes on the windows. After the windows are done I employ the used wipe on the prop, where it works wonders. 550 hours now and the props look almost brand new. WF

Archived