3questions

Roger Lee

Hi Doug,

Quote:

"Three questions:

1. Is it possible that some mechanics do more than necessary and thus cost owners more than necessary by taking advantage of the lack of knowledge?

2. With the internet, why does Rotax take so long to disseminate important information?

3) Why is wordwrap not working? (At least on my machine.) :-) "

1. I won't deny there are some mechanics that do seem to do that, but darn few. Some are trying to do the right thing and it's the owner that needs the education. Many do take advantage of an owner because of the mechanics ignorance on a subject. I have seen this a ton of times with an A&P working on a Rotax with no schooling trying to interpret what he was really supposed to do. There are also mechanics that are on the other end and do nothing, then the ones that don't care and don't know. There are all types, that's why it's important to pick one that has the education, keeps good records, has the experience, all the manuals and is recommended or doesn't mind giving you names for references. That's why they say when you find a good one treat them right and talk to them. Those types will be happy to teach you, help you, allow you to make decisions with them and ask for your input and go out of there way to do a good job and give you the options when they exist.

2. That's an issue most all European companies with the aircraft and engines in the US and other countries. It has always been there and is extremely tough to get people to always respond in a timely manner. It may also takes months to years to accumulate enough data to make the research credible. Some things are a flight safety issue so they do respond with SB's at times and some are minor enough they wait until they have enough different items to make it worth while to change a manual. Most of the time you can learn far more in a Rotax class and much more detailed information. You can get a behind the scenes answer and a chance to ask the good questions that don't get answered other places. If have been attending Rotax school's for years and I still learn new things each time. My last Rotax school for me was 9 days long last Feb. I took and entire course and the refresher, plus I helped teach. You can never have too much education. I have been going to school my entire life. Even 30 years in the fire department had me in school at least every other week and sometimes for 6 months straight.

3. Your word wrap comes out okay here on the post. I think it is the way you have your setup done in the forum setup section?

Roger, I do very much appreciate all the things you share here. They are extremely helpful.

As a retired pastor with a degree in economics, an amateur radio extra class license holder, a giant scale R/C plane builder & flyer, now a sport pilot & soon to be mechanic (without getting ino some of the other things I have done in life), I very much believe in constant growth and education.

Thanks for the input on #1. I think there is a mistrust of those who argue for you to spend more money. Sometimes it is irrational and sometimes the mechanics make it worse by not giving good reasons. I agree with all you have said there.

#2 is a negative for Rotax and FD.

As far as #3 the odd thing is it is only that one thread - the rest are fine.

I guess I don't see where the more money or extra part comes in. Just do what the manual recommends. It's just the minimum. No difference than what other MFG's might recommend. i.e. auto Mfg's , Continental, Lycoming, Parachute Mfg's, SCUBA Mfg's, motorcycle and quad Mfgs. and the list goes on forever. Just do what each recommends due to their expertise and experience over time that accumulated that data. I Mfg,ed Surface Supplied Air diving units for years. (still in bushiness: (www.airlinebyjsink.com) and had 30 years experience. I sold the company, but you can still see me and my wife in the videos. I had a manual with the things to do to take care of the units and or not get killed. Like flying, diving has some inherent risk so it's best to put the odds in your favor or don't put yourself in a compromised situation to start with and education was the key. Most SCUBA divers went to school, just like Rotax school. The ones that read the manual and did the minimum care requirements never called me because they never had issues, but I still had guys calling that just didn't get it and would have trouble. Simple things like don't store fuel in a 3 or 4 hp Honda engine all winter. Sure enough it wouldn't run in the summer because fuel clogged the small main jet. Then the carb had to be pulled apart and cleaned.

Just the the minimum and I don't know why people think these things are extra. Comparing equipment and engines gets people in trouble. they are all different in some way, shape, form and use.

You don't have to do extra just do the minimum in the manuals for each Mfg.

I have clients that do want to do more than the manual or even before the time schedule is up, but I don't recommend that, that's their personal choice. I even try to talk some out of those things because it's a waist of money.

Just do the minimum.

Not sure the auto example is good - mechanics say change oil at 3,000 miles, my manual says 7,000, and I chage at 5K based on my usage and hard winters.

I also store my snowblower and lawn tracktor after shutting off the fuel and running them dry + Stabil and ther always start. Not 3 or4 horse Honda though.

Not sure what that says except I believe skepticism is a healthy thing. Yes there are minimums, especially when you are talking about an airplane.

As far as extras - you only have to read an article from Mike Busch or listen to one of his webinars on AOPA to know about them.

Archived