A Better Flight over Lake of the Hanging Glacier and Jumbo Mountain (Grin)

C ICEY

Mike,

Beautiful video. Looks like the air was very smooth, is this the norm. I hear all these horror stories about mountain flying with high winds and turbulence and then I see this and video from josjunkers and wonder what's the deal,

al Meyer

Mike,

Beautiful video. Looks like the air was very smooth, is this the norm. I hear all these horror stories about mountain flying with high winds and turbulence and then I see this and video from josjunkers and wonder what's the deal,

al Meyer

The horror stories are true, just not all the time. A good rule of thumb is to consider the winds, if over 20kts there will likely be turbulence on the lee side of peaks and ridges. The direction of the wind can mean as much as the velocity, some local knowledge helps.

Mountain flying tends to be either the best or the worst of flying.

The horror stories are true, just not all the time. A good rule of thumb is to consider the winds, if over 20kts there will likely be turbulence on the lee side of peaks and ridges. The direction of the wind can mean as much as the velocity, some local knowledge helps.

Mountain flying tends to be either the best or the worst of flying.

Indeed!

Even on the best of days, glaciers like these can configure some unique winds of their own. The lake surfaces generally tell the tale, though.

Twenty knots at the peaks and ICEY wouldn't get anywhere close to that valley (and likely just stays on the ground at home!) That said, there are many good mornings with light winds aloft and stable air in which to explore, summer and winter. The early daytime heating can actually help in a way that makes me nostalgic for my sailplane days. I would probably never have ventured into these parts without *lots* of time soaring ALL of these very same hills. You simply have to know where you are going to go once you are there. The moment you take off here, there are precious few landings anywhere.

The trip in tells the tale of what the day might promise. There are some beautiful spots enroute to demonstrate what the wind likely brings.

regards

Mike

Wow, that's spectacular scenery... and filming. Thanks!

I like the way you get the remote camera mount to completely separate from the aircraft every once in a while too.

I flew up that way a few years back but it was hard to see much of anything what with all the rain. Going over the passes with the peaks obscured wasn't much fun.

Mike

Archived