Mounting the SPOT

CT4ME

-Spot Mounting-

After having the SPOT for two years... I still love it. In fact, I've upgraded to a SPOT2. I've struggled with mounting it, trying everything from velcro and rubber bands, to clamps. While throwing it on top of the panel works, I'm a firm believer in no flying objects in the cabin.

I've come up with a simple solution, and it works with both SPOTS: Elastic Band. It's a loop of 1" elastic, maybe 6-7" in diameter (very approximate, measure yours for sure). The mount is best shown with a picture (below). It's very simple, holds tight, and is easily removable. Hey, it even looks pretty good. No other hardware required, it just loops over the SPOT and the spar that holds the magnetic compass. Cost about 50 cents. This does not appear to interfere with the compass in any way - or interfere with the spot signal.

spot2mount.jpg

Tim

Tim.

This looks cool for the follow me function,, (mapping tracking)... But if you have to use it in a extreme emergency, don't you have to push buttons to get help? In a crash I would think that I would want it attached to me so I could get at the buttons as easily as possible..As inconvenient as that might be...

Brian

That's the beauty of this... it positions the Spot best for what we use it the most (tracking), yet it can be removed in an instant for emergency purposes. Depending on where you position the band, the buttons are still accessible while it's mounted. I find that you can see the new back-lit buttons reflections off the windscreen, so it's easy to confirm that the unit is working.

Since the SPOT2 goes through batteries much quicker than the original Spot, it's important that the unit be easily accessible for battery changes.

BTW, in an EXTREME emergency, where you may not be able to get at the buttons because of attitude, forces, time, or injuries, etc... having the tracking feature turned on is itself a valuable safety feature, since it's locating you without having to touch any button.

Tim

Archived