Why I like Matco brakes over the original Italian brakes?

Roger Lee

Hey Roger,

Could you elaborate a little about the 1/4" trim job and the 5/8" x 45 deg cut required to retro-fit the Matco's to a 2008 CTLS. (with the terrible Italian brakes!)

Why are these cuts required? Does anyone have a picture or drawing of the machining operations?

Thanks, Bruce

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is what the Matco brakes will look like on an LS. You will need to trim about 3/16" off the bottom edge of the LS compsosite gear leg. Then trim about a 5/8" 45 degree angle piece of the rear edge. Both of theses are made very easy with you handy dandy Saws All tool. The LS brakes are the easiest to do.

post-3-087044000 1285377796_thumb.jpg

There is no fix. If you had an LS you wouldn't hear the calipers slight rattle because the solid composite hear leg that isn't hollow like the SW. Because the SW has the nice sound catching wheel pant connected to the nice hollow fairing that empties into the echo chamber fuselage, we hear the sound. Nothing is wrong there is no fix and in a little time you won't notice it. If you take your headsetas off you can hear the plastic parts on the CT rattle or rub, too. It's just the nature of the beast.

• 10 months later...

Front wheel: 4.00-6

I need to double check on the 4.00-4

Part #'s:

Wheel NW60CC15MM

15MM AXLE WHLAXLE23

2 X SPACERS WHLA23SC

The mains have to come with the brake system. It is a complete change over. The 4.00- 6 wheel is the same wheel as the 6.00-6. You can't put a 6.00-6 in a 4.00-6 wheel pant.

Wait, so the mains can be either 600-6 or 400-6 tires? What is the main wheel assembly part number? I think this is just the nose. I get that the rims are still 6" but can the 4" wide tire fit on the MATCO wheel? I don't see this part number on the matco site but the nm60cc seems to need a 400-6 tire, meaning it won't fit on my nose fork I think.

Hi Kurt,

The 6" wheel can use either the 4.00-6 or the 6.00-6. A 6" wheel is the same either way. The 4.00 is just the outer profile. Wheel size isn't the problem it's the wheel pants going from the small tire to the larger tire.

You'll have to call me because there are a bunch of parts for the Matco mains. Too many to list because you have to change the wheels, calipers, bearings, disc, fitting for the brake line and and master cyl. You should toss the crappy Italian master cyl. because it puts out less volume and 60K psi where the Matco master cly. puts out 118K psi rated pressure. This is all fleet approved and has been for years.

Hi Wayne,

I think you could do the fix without any problems. It's just a little spring and does not effect any operations. All It does is just add a little pre-load to the caliper so it doesn't rattle in its mounting.

Roger...I have the Matco "rattle" on my installation. Where can I find details on how to get it fixed?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

HI Dave,

It's a piece of cake. Go to the hardware store and buy a small weak spring. Attach it to the caliper and then off and up from the caliper. This will add a small amount of pre-load on the caliper so it doesn't rattle in the pin guides where the caliper mounts. The exact attachment point shouldn't matter. Do not put a heavy spring on it or you may affect the operation of the caliper.

HI Dave,

It's a piece of cake. Go to the hardware store and buy a small weak spring. Attach it to the caliper and then off and up from the caliper. This will add a small amount of pre-load on the caliper so it doesn't rattle in the pin guides where the caliper mounts. The exact attachment point shouldn't matter. Do not put a heavy spring on it or you may affect the operation of the caliper.

Thanks Roger...will do that. I have been trying to figure out what the noise was for quite a while. It would stop as soon as I applied a little pressure to the brakes but as soon as I released the pressure, the rattle would start again.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Roger, I'm not following your directions for attaching a small spring to the caliper. You say, "Attach it to the caliper and then off and up from the caliper". If you have a picture of this it would help me understand how you attach the spring.

Hi Dick,

This isn't a mod I do and I'm not an advocate. It tends to wear one pad much faster than the other because of the pull it puts on the caliper. All this does is stop a little noise from taxiing which is not an operational issue just a little noise as the disc turns in the caliper and makes a ticking noise.. I have it and just ignore it. CTSW's have the noise and the LS's don't because of the leg design.. The SW's do because the hollow wheel pant, hollow leg fairing and open hollow fuselage all act as a big stethoscope and amplify the noise. It isn't anything to be concerned about and most of us have it.

Roger, yeah, I've had the caliper noise and have just ignored it but was under the impression that you were advocating the spring mod. If it wears the pads unevenly, I'll not do this and will just ignore the noise. As you indicate, it isn't that big of a deal since it's hardly noticeable when taxing with headset on.

• 5 months later...

Hi Dick,

This isn't a mod I do and I'm not an advocate. It tends to wear one pad much faster than the other because of the pull it puts on the caliper. All this does is stop a little noise from taxiing which is not an operational issue just a little noise as the disc turns in the caliper and makes a ticking noise.. I have it and just ignore it. CTSW's have the noise and the LS's don't because of the leg design.. The SW's do because the hollow wheel pant, hollow leg fairing and open hollow fuselage all act as a big stethoscope and amplify the noise. It isn't anything to be concerned about and most of us have it.

If the rattle in the cockpit is caused by the hollow gear leg acting as a sound channel, couldn't you just plug the leg with epoxy, plumber's putty, or something similar a little ways up from the brakes to block the sound from coming up that channel?

It's not the gear leg, but the gear leg fairing. You could stuff some foam inside the fairing at the bottom and top and it might help. I never have bothered to do this. The noise or rattle really hasn't bothered me. The foam would help some I'm sure.

Archived