Wing tape tip

Admin2

When taping the wing root with the 1" white Bolus tape don't stretch it. lay it down flat and relaxed. If you stretch it the tape will tear as the wings flex especially when it's cold.

Here is a good tip. Double tape the leading edge. Just 8" on top and about 6" on the bottom. Air pressure and flex causes this to split at times.

Following these tips should keep the tape in good condition until the next wing inspection.

Double tape leading edge.jpg

• 4 months later...

It has been suggested to me that putting this wing sealant tape all round the wing root circumference increases the draught into the cabin via the various apertures at the roots. The photo appears to show tape extending well back at least on the undersurface. Do you have any isues with cabin draughts? Do you cover over the wing root apertures? I rather like to leave the view of the sight tubes as unobscured as possible.

Hi Simon,

Tape the small gap between the wing and fuselage on top and all the way around the bottom from edge to edge. Put an extra 8" strip from the leading edge on top and around the bottom. This double tape leading edge tape will keep it from cracking under pressure. Tape all the holes inside the cabin above your head with clear tape to seal them. That way you can still see inside them. Seal all the holes including the fuel site tube holes with cler tape. If you fail to see any hole the cold air will just come in there. Go to the hardware store and get some soft 3/8" foam with a self sticking back and seal all the way around each door jam. Tape the wing spar pinning holes front and back too. I can fly with a shirtsleeve shirt when it's 20F and only have the heat on half way. It could be 0F outside and the heater will keep you warm if the cabin is sealed up well.

Bear in mind they make the tape in clear as well as white.

Would look pretty terrible to do the whole thing in clear (I think), but I put some clear near my wing attachment bolts - you could do the same around the sight tubes or wherever you might need to see.

Photo to follow.

Roger, another tip for installing the 1" bolus tape aloing the wing joints. I round off a lead pencil eraser to run along the joints as I feed the tape down the wing joints. The eraser is soft and rounded just right to from a tight radius at this joint compared to using one's finger and risking running a fingernail into the tape and ripping it.

Here's what I did:

8424459968_0e003706a7_c.jpg

8424460386_2e45436a8a_z.jpg

Barely noticeable unless you're paying attention. Remember, I'm a high wing also.

That's just regular clear packing tape, though when I re-do it soon with my annual I bought the proper clear wing tape in both clear and white.

Eddie, we don't have any areas needing access to control components on the outside of our CT's, save for one aileron control rod bellcrank access port on the wing underside about 2/3rds down the wing which has a fitted clear plastic cover. The only need for bolus tape is to close off the 3/8" gap at the wing/fuselage joint. The top of the wing just requires laying the tape down on a flat surface - pretty easy. The under side requires a tight radius of the tape and it can take a few attempts at applying the tape to make it come out right. Running the pencil erasure along while applying the tape seems to push the tape into the joint without sticking the tape to the adjoining surfaces and results in this tight radius. We do have access holes inside our cabin used for accessing the aileron control rods and for housing our fuel sight tubes. These access ports bring in frigid air in the winter so we use clear packing tape to close these out, as Roger described.

Archived