GoPro Suction Mount Location

NC Bill

Surveying my CTLS for a good forward looking location I thought of putting the camera centered just over the cockpit between the windscreen and the sunroof - there's a piece of composite more than wide enough to hold it.

Any reason this won't work? Prop wash for example?

P.S. Sorry :blush: Tried to attach a photo but learned too late it won't accept .TIF files.

Bill,

If you're talking about outside/exterior, I'd think twice. If it comes off, you're looking at something that could damage the tail or stabilator. If it's going to be on the exterior, find a spot that, if it falls off, will allow the unit to fall free of the airplane (especially control surfaces!).

tim

Hi,I've recently got a Go Pro and have been trying different locations.mounting it inside facing fowards seemed logical, but the results were not that good due to the prop arcing across

the field of view which I found unpleasant to watch for any amount of time.my proposed solution is to use the tie down point on the underside of the wing.I have made a mount and tested it in that location.I was wary at first because I was unsure whether the mount would move/unscrew at those kinds of speeds so I made a dummy camera to fit the mount.I'm pieased to report there was no movement.so I'm now ready to use the real camera in that position.[the large ring is moveable to lock the mount in the desired position].incidently when I did my initial test the camera suffered from slight condensation of the lens.I have bought the skeleton housing that should counter this problem.please see picture.

post-539-0-57537400-1347610666_thumb.jpg

I mount my GoPro camera at multiple locations where there is solid structure beneath to avoid flexing of the aircraft skin, such as along the spar or in front of the aileron horns. the further from the longitudinal and rotational axis that the camera is mounted, the greater the amount of potential vibration, making the image wavy. I try to vary the locations for different perspectives, and have begun using two cameras synchronized with the remote contol unit. I have had absolutely no problem with the GoPro suction cup mounts, even in very turbulent conditions. Pressure difference is a non issue... there is NO AIR between the silicon suction pad and the aircraft skin. The configuration seems to eliminate most vibration, too. Just make sure the surfaces are both clean and dry.

The most important aspect of making a viewable video, IMO, is that of editting. You'll have to take at least as much time as your flight took in order to edit and break the video down into a series of short linked segments. 5-10 second clips are the easiest to watch unless there is some dramatic change in the image field. Unbroken, multiminute, single source images just won't get viewed to the end.

regards

Mike

Colin, That is one fine looking wing tie down mount. Looks like it took several hours to think through and create a prototype. What a shame to waste that effort on just one mount rolleyes.gif I think you should make a batch and then offer them for sale right here in the forum. BTW, I'd be first in line to place an order! (I see no reason to screw with suction cup mounts when such a fine solution exists for screw down).

PS, it has been reported here on the forum that using this cheap filter over the lens on a GoPro eliminates prop hash. I bought one, have yet to try it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130493740254?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Just drop this in the plastic case lens area then insert the camera.

I have not flown with this... but curious as to anyone's thoughts... (I think I worry too much about airflow disruption) Here is a GoPro with a simple bar mount attached to one of 2 Pitot tubes on my bird. Its secure, can't fall off, is easy to slide on and slide off... Not sure if it makes sense or not? For me, I use an NFlight Cam Plus in the cockpit looking out the centerline. I have been wanting to add a second downward looking cam to add some scenery shots to my videos. I'm ok with the GoPro being off center since its not my only onboard camera.

post-124-0-42486700-1347985788_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-17506600-1347985808_thumb.jpg

Colin, That is one fine looking wing tie down mount. Looks like it took several hours to think through and create a prototype. What a shame to waste that effort on just one mount rolleyes.gif I think you should make a batch and then offer them for sale right here in the forum. BTW, I'd be first in line to place an order! (I see no reason to screw with suction cup mounts when such a fine solution exists for screw down).

PS, it has been reported here on the forum that using this cheap filter over the lens on a GoPro eliminates prop hash. I bought one, have yet to try it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130493740254?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Just drop this in the plastic case lens area then insert the camera.

Hi Adam,

sorry I've not replied sooner.I took the mount up the other day for a full test.since last writing I have been busy "brainstorming",my gps is a memorymap pilot 7000[i don't know if there called that in your neck of the woods]anyway a feature of that unit believe it or not is a A/V in socket.which got me thinking could I use that to connect the go pro to for the purpose of setting the camera to the desired "field of view" in short the answer is yes.for £4 I obtained a 2.5mm 4 pole jack and cut off the existing phono plug replacing it with a 3.5mm mini jack.so I can now monitor in real time what the camera is seeing.the bad news is I was in such a rush to get going that I had a senior moment and accidently put it into still mode.so I am no wiser as to whether the mount is rock solid or suffers from vibration.the skeleton housing did eliminate the fogging of the lens.in regards to the filter,it sounds good if it works,I await with baited breath on your report.if it dosn't,I am intrigued to know if it's a linear or circular type as mybe one type works better than the other?Adam's mount that was attached to the pitot looks intriguing,I would love to see what results he gets from that location.and is it more stable than using the tie down point

I have not flown with this... but curious as to anyone's thoughts... (I think I worry too much about airflow disruption).

I don't think you worry too much.

I don't care for that arrangement. Lift is a funny thing, and can be disrupted by something as seemingly innocuous as frost or stall strips far smaller than what you show there.

image213.gif

The problem would come up in a stall. Your right wing might stall well before the left. Not good.

To anyone who might respond that it would probably not be an issue, I agree. But the possible consequences are serious enough that I wouldn't risk it.

Archived