Fast Eddie & Kool Karen's Excellent (planned) Page Adventure

FastEddieB

Well, Kool Karen and I are now committed (or should be!)

We have reservations and plan to attend the CT Page flyin in our Sky Arrow.

This would be the longest crosscountry we’ve attempted in the Sky Arrow. Many years ago I flew to both Page and Bullfrog Basin in my Tiger (from Florida).

The plan is to leave Copperhill, TN on or about Sunday, Oct. 14. That gives us four days to get there. The Sky Arrow does about 100k, so we have a total of 14 hours or so of flying time. This will be my first crosscountry since repitching my prop flatter, so until I get a handle on fuel consumption we’ll probably plan about 200 nm legs assuming 6 gph and my 18 gal capacity.

Here’s the proposed route (more or less):

7995713974_15c93c8be3_z.jpg

So...

Open to suggestions on...

1) Where to stop for the night

2) Places with MOGAS or stops where we might get MOGAS conveniently (91 octane or higher)

3) Other routing suggestions

4) Anyone wanting to hook up to fly together part way (if you can fly that slowly!)

In addition, if anyone has slightly out of date sectionals, I’m going to need:

Memphis, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Albuquerque, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Denver. I'll pay for postage or buy you a beer or something down the road.

I don’t need current ones, since we’ll have two iPads with WingX7Pro and a current db in our 496 - so these are just for planning and emergency backup.

Thanks guys - I’m sure I’ll have other questions/request and I’m open to suggestions!

Hope to see you guys soon!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ed,

Bob Corey and myself and our wives will most likely be leaving on sunday as well.....maybe we will be able to talk along the way. We usually spend the night somewhere in oklahoma as the past two years seem to have proven we cannot get through that state....winds storms etc...we usually stay in woodward oklahoma, then we leave just b4 daylight and get to page around noon time. Our routes are pretty close. We seem to go through the santa fe area to get to page. However i think were meeting up with another couple in the double eagle airport so our route may change a little

mack brame

270-887-5696

Ed,

I bought a Sting S4 from SportairUSA in North Little Rock (KORK). They have ethanol free Mogas (91 octane). I'm not sure of the price but it is not far from one of the waypoints on your flight path above.

Bill Canino owns and runs SportairUSA. Their phone number is 888-359-7572. They also have a very good Rotax mechanic there if needed. You might want to call just to let them know you are coming.

Dan

Ed,

I bought a Sting S4 from SportairUSA in North Little Rock (KORK). They have ethanol free Mogas (91 octane). I'm not sure of the price but it is not far from one of the waypoints on your flight path above.

Bill Canino owns and runs SportairUSA. Their phone number is 888-359-7572. They also have a very good Rotax mechanic there if needed. You might want to call just to let them know you are coming.

Dan

Thank - I'll see how that fits my route.

BTW, a Cirrus owner just advised me he had all the charts I needed!

This is the last day of our trip to Page last year (from Ohio). We stayed in a nice Holiday Inn Express in downtown Dalhart. Eat at the Bar-H-Steakhouse half mile away.

Refuel at double eagle, nice lunch on field.

This route takes you over the spot where 4 states meet, then thru monument valley. Very scenic route!

6724aa99.jpg

Hi Eddie,

Do you have an Ipad? All the Ipad charts plus your GPS should be fine. I don't carry paper charts any longer.

Actually TWO iPads - my wife's "2" and my first gen. Both loaded with WingXPro7.

Still, I like the idea of paper backups. Eventually I may get over it.

And thanks to some friends at the Cirrus Owner's group, I have both the sectionals and a bound VFR book enroute, so I'll have a lot of options.

• 4 weeks later...

Eddie... If Taylor Az looks good to you (KTYL) ( 30 miles S of Holbrook Az that is on I 40) For Wednesday night..I will get you 91 oct and give you a nice place to sleep... meals and transportation... This is about 1:45 to 2:00 hours South East of Page.. I will be leaving Thursday AM to fly to Flagstaff to pick up my son then on to Page.....

Brian 928-205-8300

Eddie... If Taylor Az looks good to you (KTYL) ( 30 miles S of Holbrook Az that is on I 40) For Wednesday night..I will get you 91 oct and give you a nice place to sleep... meals and transportation... This is about 1:45 to 2:00 hours South East of Page.. I will be leaving Thursday AM to fly to Flagstaff to pick up my son then on to Page.....Brian 928-205-8300

What a nice offer.

I'll call later today or tonight.

THANKS!

We're staying put in Amarillo.

I'll post images later, but Airmet for turbulence and 40k to 55k headwinds at 9,000' along our route make holing up here the Most Conservative Action. Gusty surface winds up to 30k for later today are also a factor.

Tomorrow promises to be a bit better, so the plan is to try for Page tomorrow.

Eddie, watching your trip progress (??) with interest. My first X country was from Michigan to Sebring last January. All went well going to Sebring but got held up by weather on our way back. We spent two nites in Lake City, Florida waiting for a front to go thru. I'm not sure I'm cut out for these long X country trips. I'm programmed to always be on the go but for these trips, one must be able to sit back, watch the world go by and be happy until the weather says OK to go. Since I'm retired, there's really no reason to not do this but..........:wacko:

Tentative plan for tomorrow:

8097446358_c9e9ef8216.jpg

The fuel stop at Tucumcari is optional, depending on headwinds.

Thoughts?

I no longer have the CT but the last time I did the Page flyin from Albuquerque I flew NW to near Farmington and west through Monument Valley to Lake Powell and south to Page. Spectular scenary.

Have Fun

Arnold

Arnold,

That will now be Plan A. Thanks!

When we land at Moriarty we'll check winds and see if either route seems more favorable.

We hope to be in the air not much after 7A, so hopefully we'll avoid much of the worst winds and turbulence.

Archived