Fast Eddie & Kool Karen's Excellent (planned) Page Adventure

FastEddieB

That's the right plan but with one timing issue. Arrive at Page before sunset. 6 Years ago at the Page-CT-fly in we flew in the afternoon to Monument Valley. On the way back the sun was setting and flying to Page was quite annoying, so much so that I finally advanced my throttle, left the formation and apologized to Roger Lee and company for leaving them behind. I was one of the first CTs with an optimized prop pitch and it showed there.

You will have some trouble keeping up so remember that you can fly WOT @ 7,500' and above because you will be only realizing 75% power or less. Most of the ct pilots are not from high altitude so they are not comfortable with their throttles wide open.

Wish I was coming.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting pictures!

Were there any CT's at the the CT Page Fly Inn too?

I'm assuming there were.

They tended to blast by us so fast all we saw was a blur! ;)

Oh, and safe and sound in Tucson with friends - maintenance with Roger Lee commences tomorrow.

Update:

Spent three days in Tucson getting the plane worked on by Roger. Yesterday to Chandler to visit a friend.

This morning headed home, but with a late start and the time change, decided to stop in Carlsbad, NM after just two legs.

Planning for Little Rock tomorrow, then home the next day if Sandy cooperates.

Great trip so far, more to come...

Eddie, something about pusher airplanes that appeals to me. I really like the looks of the Sky Arrow. It looks good flying over Bryce. Before buying my CTSW, I was all set to buy a Rans S12 XL pusher. This would have been a fun plane but not for X country travel and I'm glad that I ended up with the CT. Have a safe flight home.

Carlsbad, NM to Little Rock, AR in four legs today.

Whew!

Home tomorrow - we hope!

PS - Dick, maybe not the perfect cross country airplane, but I would not give up that canopy, nor the tandem seating, nor the sidestick.

Different strokes, and all that!

We just left the Sky Arrow at Madison County Airport in AL.

Very windy - gusts to 25k or so from the north.

Rented a car and we're driving the final 150 miles or so home. Dark skies over the mountains west of Chattanooga are making this seem the the right choice.

8132715460_a9bd91f20b_c.jpg

Pretty sure our inconvenience is minor compared to many.

PS - Dick, maybe not the perfect cross country airplane, but I would not give up that canopy, nor the tandem seating, nor the sidestick.

Different strokes, and all that!

Eddie, I feel that the Rans S12 is not a good X-country plane but agree with you regarding the Sky Arrow. The Sky Arrow is not a high drag airplane like the Rans and due to this, it has good speed, a well sealed cockpit and is a good plane to go X-country. If I hadn't found my CTSW, the Sky Arrow was on my short list to consider.

Eric

When we landed at VGT this week Monday the winds were 200 at 24 gusts 36 . They gave us runway 12 R and cleared us to land 10 miles out. The controller gave the winds on downwind and final. After landing he removed his finger from the crash truck button and thanked us for getting it on the ground. It is always windy in Hawaii.

Thanks for your help making the page event good for us. Eddie and Karen very nice meeting you folks as well.

THANKS To Everyone who makes Page Possible.

Larry

That wind forecast looks like every afternoon here in Bisbee from March thru May! Not fun, but you get good at crosswind landings!

I was kinda surprised at the straight line winds we met in Henryetta, OK, Moriarty, NM and Sedona, AZ.

I got to put to use at Moriarty and Sedona the technique of landing and taking off at an angle to the runway centerline to reduce the crosswind component.

In a pinch, the Sky Arrow in a strong wind should only take a couple hundred feet to land. There's nothing explicitly illegal about landing in a ramp area aligned with the wind, though if one came to grief one would have to articulate why it wasn't careless and/or reckless operation.

To note is that straight line winds like that are kinda rare around here, and even the 3,000' terrain and trees surrounding Copperhill can make strong winds much more of a challenge as the wind spills over the obstacles and terrain around the airport.

Anyway, survived to fly another day and have another adventure getting our baby back to the nest on another day!

Good news and bad news and good news.

Good news is it was a gorgeous day today. Hardly a cloud in the sky. Drove to AL, returned the rental car, got in the air and had 25k+ tailwinds all the way home.

Bad news is that the strong and gusty westerly winds made an approach and landing into Copperhill, TN too much of a challenge. The runway is 2/20 with trees to the west. I went so far as to line up for RWY 2 on final, but it was far too bumpy for my tastes with the wind spilling over those trees.

Good news is that nearby Blairsville, GA has a RWY 8/26. Bumpy approach there, but doable. Called a friend and he picked us up and drove us the 20 miles or so home.

Will wait for the winds to die down and go pick her up in the next few days.

We hope! :D

I finally am getting around to some summary pireps about our adventure.

Here's an image of the legs flown (I think you can click on it to enlarge):

8164689168_ca6d25566f_b.jpg

I'm not sure if this will work, but this may be a link to an Excel file of the above (via Dropbox):

https://www.dropbox....geTrip2012.xlsx

As an aside, I created that worksheet on my Mac at home and made sure it was in a Dropbox folder. Then, on the road, I could keep it current using an iPad app called "CloudOn", which gives you access to Excel spreadsheets and a crude form of Excel for the iPad.

Anyway, this was the longest trip we've attempted in the Sky Arrow. At or near max gross and 5,400 rpm, we were seeing about 97ktas. You can see from the average speed that headwinds came into play much more than tailwinds. Some of the average speeds are unreasonable low - those were legs like to Monument Valley where there was a lot of sightseeing. The 5.8 gph overall average should be pretty accurate.

I had repitched my prop for more rpm a while back. While that definitely helps on takeoff and climb, I think I saw better cruise numbers with more pitch. Before the next long cross country I may pitch it back for comparison purposes.

Only mechanical issues were the ongoing small oil leak, and a "GEN" light that would periodically start coming on at 2,200 rpm.

The Sky Arrow might not be the best cross country platform, but it served us well and we're no longer in that much of a hurry. Got to see a lot of the country up close and personal, and each fuel stop had its own story.

More later on the iPad replacing paper charts, my new LightSpeeds, and maybe a few other things that might come to mind.

Archived