Welcome!

Admin

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. It looks like this forum is a great place to be.

We have just purchased a winch and it will probably be installed shortly.  We'll look into putting on some sort of bracket to attach to the mains.  

But, I must admit to a couple of sheepish "ah ha" moments we have had since my first posting.  We have learned that it is a whole lot easier to push the CTLS into the hangar if the brake is not set.  I also figured out it is easier to push if the door is open since I can get a good hold by pushing on the back of the door opening instead of trying to push on the propeller root or some other place where I am concerned about damaging the plane.  DUH!

We now have a couple of vented 5 gallon jugs that can flow relatively quickly, but they are still too heavy for me to lift up, so Hubby has to do that job.  The towels are mostly because I don't want to scuff the paint.  We'll look into the Tuff Jugs.  

We just had a wonderful fly-in and airport bean dinner this weekend and showed off our new plane to about a hundred participants.  Hubby flew family and friends for a couple of hours.  Joyful.

Should I be posting in some other topic or thread?

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I am a new member and looking for some help.  I currently live on the island of Oahu and have been interested in getting my LSA license.  I have had no luck, all flight schools only offer private pilot and higher.  I would like to get my private pilot, but I have color deficency (no night flying) and I am type 1 diabetic (insulin dependent).  I discussed this with an AME and they said I would probably pass but if I did not I would not be allowed to even get my LSA license.  I would also have to be re-exam'ed ever few months and if my A1C was over 6.5 my license would be suspended.  I am looking for a CFI that does LSA licensing.  Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Thanks,

Jason22

Jason,

You are seeking to get a Sport Pilot Certificate so you can fly a light sport airplane. Light sport aircraft might be SLSA such a Flight Design CTLS or standard certificated airplanes such as a Piper J3 Cub or an Aeronca 7AC Champ.

If you are not getting any satisfaction out of the 5 or so schools on Hawaii, here are a few suggestions.

1. Go up to the North Shore and get a glider rating. Remember that motor gliders like the Lambada are very similar to an LSA in many respects. You will need a self-launch endorsement for that plane.

2. Get someone to give you all the dual training you need for the SP certificate in an airplane like a C172 or PA28, then go to the mainland and finish up your SP training in less than a week. You can't solo as a private pilot candidate until you get your medical, which you don't want to do.

Jason,

You are seeking to get a Sport Pilot Certificate so you can fly a light sport airplane. Light sport aircraft might be SLSA such a Flight Design CTLS or standard certificated airplanes such as a Piper J3 Cub or an Aeronca 7AC Champ.

If you are not getting any satisfaction out of the 5 or so schools on Hawaii, here are a few suggestions.

1. Go up to the North Shore and get a glider rating. Remember that motor gliders like the Lambada are very similar to an LSA in many respects. You will need a self-launch endorsement for that plane.

2. Get someone to give you all the dual training you need for the SP certificate in an airplane like a C172 or PA28, then go to the mainland and finish up your SP training in less than a week. You can't solo as a private pilot candidate until you get your medical, which you don't want to do.

Thanks Jim.  I have not thought about option #2.  I am going to look into that.

• 1 year later...

This is my first post, and I just wanted to thank you for creating such a nice forum.

I am a LSA student presently.  I bought an RV12, and I am LOVING it, and hoping to solo soon.

I am really struggling with my written test studies, but I'll get through that.  Time is my main issue (not enough of it), but I have the flying and landing parts down pretty well.

I know I don't have a CTLS, but this forum appears to have good people and accepts other brands of plane owners, so I hope to be a contributing member.

I hail from the Charles Schultz Airport in Santa Rosa CA.

Mike

• 4 months later...

Hello,

This is my first post. Thank you for creating such a nice forum. Since last October I'me the happy and proud owner of the brave CTLS HB-WYA which did a round the world tour in 2010 with its friend HB-WYB (have you heard about it ?). I'me very enthusiast to be part of your community. As I'me french speaking, sorry for my english.

Blue sky from Switzerland

Daniel

Thanks for dropping by...

The CT Flier forum is a gathering place for folks who want to learn and share information about the CT line of aircraft from Flight Design. Most of us own, have-owned, or want-to-own CTs. Like most aviation groups, we're very enthusiastic about flying and our planes.

Feel free to jump right in and start posting or asking questions... or you might just want to "lurk" and get the feel of things. You'll find the CT community to be a great bunch of people.

We'd like to keep the forum on the positive side, but don't expect everyone to be a Flight Design cheerleader. To that end, we encourage free and independent discussions. If there are problems, we'll be looking for solutions. Hey, even super-models have pimples.

CTFlier.com has been setup by two CT owners... Roger Lee and Tim Greer. At this point, all costs and administration time is being happily donated by us. Eventually, if we get a large number of simultaneous users, we may take small donations to offset the costs of buying more space and speed.

One thing we'll never forget... this is a community, built by its users. Each and every one of you are donating your time and experience to build the community. Thank YOU.

p.s. While we're big fans, this forum is not affiliated with Flight Design.

Thanks Roger and Tim! Great forum with lots of valuable information! The forum has given me tons of understanding of my new CTSW that I couldn't of gotten anywhere else.

Green horn questions are patiently responded to. ????????????????

• 5 months later...

Andy here new to the forum and have enjoyed looking over articles and posts. I bought a new Aerotrek A240 back in August and enjoying every flight so far. Been flying for about 15 years but this is my first endeavor as owner. Looking forward to learning more about the LSA experience.l

IMG_0876.JPG

• 4 years later...

Hey all.

I'm J.P. and I was introduced to the CTLS a couple of years ago. I had mixed feelings since it was in every measurable way superior to the plane I had been flying (Grumman AA-1A). The Grumman might be a little easier to work on (not as reliant upon disciplined sparks as the CTs, and I prefer tin to plastic), but neither is anywhere near as painful as a Mooney.

There are currently two CTLSs on my home field, and both owners have asked me to perform the Condition Inspection. I am trying to track down the stiff elevator trim issue every CTLS seems to have... If I figure it out, I'll let you know (but I suspect it's the Bowden cables). I also have an intercom issue to deal with on one (the pilot/owner let some smoke out of something when he was poking around behind a cockpit panel... now I get to fix it).

So far this forum has been a wealth of knowledge and ya'll seem appropriately passionate about these little planes.

The stiff elevator trim is likely going to be a gunked up jackscrew in the tail. It's what item #2 spins on:

image.thumb.png.aa696e97e30591c9f97bc5c28bdfae28.png

HOWEVER, the easy checks are first to see if the trim wheel in the cockpit is too tight on the mounting hardware, or the torque multiplier wheel just behind that trimwheel in the tunnel is having any of those same issues.

There are also two pulleys that should be regularly lubricated (just use a spray with a straw) in the tail. Item 6.

image.png.de394516a755a7f9e105a6169cd9ae60.png

The last thing, and most worrying and difficult possibility, is that you are dealing with frayed cables or worn fairleads/bowdens. Let us know what you find!

5 hours ago, Anticept said:

The stiff elevator trim is likely going to be a gunked up jackscrew in the tail. It's what item #2 spins on:

image.thumb.png.aa696e97e30591c9f97bc5c28bdfae28.png

HOWEVER, the easy checks are first to see if the trim wheel in the cockpit is too tight on the mounting hardware, or the torque multiplier wheel just behind that trimwheel in the tunnel is having any of those same issues.

There are also two pulleys that should be regularly lubricated (just use a spray with a straw) in the tail. Item 6.

image.png.de394516a755a7f9e105a6169cd9ae60.png

The last thing, and most worrying and difficult possibility, is that you are dealing with frayed cables or worn fairleads/bowdens. Let us know what you find!

I was going to start with the pulleys and then the pushrods, then the jackscrew because they are easier to get to (a key to good troubleshooting).

Frayed cables had occurred to me but that's cause for at least five minutes of cursing (and another 10 by the owner), so I didn't want to bring it up :)

• 7 months later...