Young Eagles regs?

Doug G.

FAR 91.146 (B)(5) & (9) state that charitable, nonprofit, and community event flights must have a standard certificated plane flown by a private pilot. young Eagles guidelines say you "must hold an appropriate Airman's Certificate (Sport Pilot or greater)." There is no mention of the type of aircraft. Are Young Eagle flights somehow exempted from 91.146? Can I, as a Sport Pilot, do Young Eagle flights in my FD CTLS?

Doug G.

The EAA automatically provides additional insurance. I don't think we can accept free fuel, although it becomes less clear if an FBO decides to discount fuel for the day.

I do lots of these flights. As of now, you can't accept any free fuel, though EAA has requested an exemption from the FAA so that can happen. I agree it isn't clear about the FBO discount that sometimes is offered; frankly, I just don't worry with it.

As part of your pre-flight ritual, you are required to have the parents sign releases and you also fill out paperwork that goes to EAA to establish a record for the Young Eagle that also makes him/her eligible for flight training and scholarships. It's a great program. Your local EAA chapter probably has a Young Eagle coordinator you can contact to get set up; if not, contact EAA headquarters Young Eagle folks directly. They'll send you a kit and assign you a Young Eagle pilot number. (Of course, you have to be an EAA member.)

I am new to my chapter, but they do many Young Eagle events throughout the area in the Spring and Fall. They just don't know much about Light Sport...yet. :-)

Let me encourage you to do what I did and put together a presentation about it for them. There's no one better to talk about it than someone flying it...and there are a lot of misconceptions and prejudices.

I had a curious experience on a Young Eagle day. A boy scout troup had shown up. The scouts have a rule that no individual kid can be alone with an adult. So, no scouts could fly

in a 2 seat aircraft. (well, unless one is a pilot....) . There was no issue using an LSA on regular YE days.

The Scouts are different birds (even though I used to be one). Last time I looked, they were not allowing intro flights in Light Sport; pilots had to have a private or higher certificate and aircraft were supposed to be standard category only.

Archived