Tecnam P2008 Turbo

markmn

Tom, did I miss something? Is there a third type of prop? The standard is ground adjustable, isn't that the same as "not adjustable in flight."

There's a lot of prop types :P.

The onces that we commonly concern ourselves with are the fixed pitch, ground adjustable, and constant speed.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you took an adjust

What do you think the reliability and lifespan of the turbo 912UL conversion might be?  Would the turbo kit fit under the cowl or would you need to modify it?

The turbo itself might be a weak link but the low compression might offset that negative?

Dunno on the cowl.

The onces that we commonly concern ourselves with are the fixed pitch, ground adjustable, and constant speed.

Actually in this case we would be talking about an in-flight adjustable prop, not constant speed and the control mounted forward of the firewall.  CTs in Canada and OZ have them with the control in the cockpit.  I think they have about 4 settings.

Actually in this case we would be talking about an in-flight adjustable prop, not constant speed and the control mounted forward of the firewall.  CTs in Canada and OZ have them with the control in the cockpit.  I think they have about 4 settings.

Manual pitch prop... Always odd running into one of those :P.

Manual pitch prop... Always odd running into one of those :P.

I know all this, but I don't understand the difference in Tom's adjustable prop that is not adjustable in flight - is that different from a ground adjustable prop? It sounded like it was somehow. Thanks.

We have one on the Europa, an Airmaster 

post-6-0-56485000-1399478012_thumb.jpgpost-6-0-24227100-1399478013_thumb.jpg

For LSA you make it ground adjustable by putting the controller where it is not accessible in flight.  Feather is a real nice feature to have in flight :)

We have one on the Europa, an Airmaster 

attachicon.gifairMaster.jpgattachicon.gifcontroller.jpg

For LSA you make it ground adjustable by putting the controller where it is not accessible in flight.  Feather is a real nice feature to have in flight :)

I see an "auto" setting, is that where you'd set it, and then it would re-pitch itself auto-magically?  Or am I misunderstanding how it works?

I think auto is used for the preset engine speeds and manual is used for 'hold'

So how would you get the benefit?  Does having the controller in front of the firewall but the coarse/fine switch on the panel meet the legal requirement of not having an in-flight adjustable prop?

I assume any ability to change pitch in flight would violate the rule.

I think its interesting that Ronnie's testimonial says first he needed the airmaster to see the benefit of the 914 in the CT and then says with it he gets 5-8 more knots.  I'm assuming he is adjusting in flight but even if he isn't if you optimise to a high target altitude like 15,000' you would have ~60hp increase over NA.  I would expect cruise capability above Vne (TAS).  Maybe he is talking about 10,000' but even there I would expect more than 5-8knots.

The prop is adjustable, but not in flight. Put the controller out of reach or in the engine compartment so the pilot can't get to it and it is no longer an in flight adjustable prop, technically speaking, but maybe the FAA might argue that point?

I wonder if one could put it inside the cockpit and placard it to be prohibited in flight.  This would be analogous to the 180hp Carbon Cub that has a placard for Maximum Continuous RPM.  Of course, no one ever exceeds the rpm nor would they ever adjust the prop in flight.... 

I know the plane and I know who did the mod. (no names) and yes they are using the strict rule interpretation to skirt the issue. If something did truly happen I'm sure it would be an issue to debate with someone at the FAA since all of them don't always agree either.

In fact over here in Europe I have a Variable Pitch prop on the CTLS (adjustable in flight) rather than a constant speed prop.

Do you know what speeds are seen with that setup? 

What seems to be the case is that we can see lower rpm & fuel flow for a given speed - so with the price of fuel over here I tend to look to cruise between 105 & 110 kts - which I get with about 4500rpm and ~17 litres/hour

I tend to fly with two up (neither of us elfin thin) so with enough fuel to go somewhere we are usually at or very near max weight which does have an appreciable effect for a given power setting.

European CTs see around 130 kts with the adjustable prop and -12 flaps

I think 130 kts is a tad optimistic - vne is 145! Next time I'm out I'll just see what we can get straight & level with prop in full coarse and the throttle fully open.

Certainly the -12 flaps is advantageous though.

Archived