Stabilator Trim Adjustment

round_peg

We've noticed that the stabilator is trimmed almost to the lower end of its travel range on landings and the trims lives in the lower half of the indicator pretty much all the time. Seems like this is a rigging issue. If this is not usual, can it be fixed without much difficulty?

Thanks!

I most likely isn't a real trim issue, but the little indicator has moved on the cable. The trim almost never gets out of adjustment. Lift up the throttle and brake cover. The little indicator chrome piece screws in and out of the receptacle. Just loosen it and slide it back in place towards center. Then snog it down. Don't go crazy and over tighten it just snug it up. You'll be all fixed in a few minutes.

I had my trim adjusted this year. I used to run out of nose down and couldn't trim for a 55 kt approach. Now I have all the nose down I need but the nose up trim goes all the way to the stop for cruise.

If your trim needs adjustment then you will run out or either nose down or nose up and be forced to hold some pressure.

I had my trim adjusted this year. I used to run out of nose down and couldn't trim for a 55 kt approach. Now I have all the nose down I need but the nose up trim goes all the way to the stop for cruise.

If your trim needs adjustment then you will run out or either nose down or nose up and be forced to hold some pressure.

We come pretty close to running out of nose up, but not (I think) because the stabilator has run out of travel but because the trim wheel itself has hit a stop. I'm going to try Roger's suggestion first:

I most likely isn't a real trim issue, but the little indicator has moved on the cable. The trim almost never gets out of adjustment. Lift up the throttle and brake cover. The little indicator chrome piece screws in and out of the receptacle. Just loosen it and slide it back in place towards center. Then snog it down. Don't go crazy and over tighten it just snug it up. You'll be all fixed in a few minutes.

Hoping this does it.

It sounds ike you are running out of adjustment for trim and not just running out of travel for the trim indicator. If so, as mentioned, there's a procedure in the manual to follow for adjusting the trim which includes direction for flight testing. My stabilator trim required re-adjustment after my stabilator was reinforced. You may need to adjust the rod ends out at the trim tab to get the adjustment you need. I made a special wrench to get to the lock nuts on the rod end tread that goes into the control rods (there are two rods on the CTSW).

We come pretty close to running out of nose up, but not (I think) because the stabilator has run out of travel but because the trim wheel itself has hit a stop.

Adjusting the trim only moves the trim tab relative to the stabilator. The stab's travel is not effected.

'close to running out of nose up' I think is where you want to be.

Archived