Newest Tecnam P2008 Photos

markmn

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you a Distributor or Dealer for Tecnam. Just wondering why the photos on this forum.

There are people on this forum who do not own CT's. A handful even attend the fly-ins!

I think I found this site when searching for something about my ROTAX 912, and found this site a valuable resource.

I ended up here after trying another CT site where they got annoyed if someone even mentioned "Remos".

Even "Cirrus" was blocked, making it hard to discuss high clouds.

The last straw was when I recommended Scrubbing Bubbles for belly stains and was warned by an admin not to discuss non-aviation products. Bye bye.

On the Cirrus Owner's site there's healthy discussion involving the Corvalis and all sorts of other planes, up to and including turboprops and even jets.

There should me no problem with other brands being showcased here. The CT can and will stand on its own merits. Knowing the competition is good - to ignore it is to just wear blinders.

Thanks for the replies. I believe the CT forum Ed is talking about is no more for the reasons he stated.

This site is an excellent resource for all light aircraft.

The pictured aircraft is equipped with the 912uls.

The width of the P2008 cabin is 48 inches.

The actual weights of the latest carbureted P2008s have been around 825 lbs.

Tecnam has worked to reduce weight in anticipation of the new 912i which is approx 20 lbs heavier.

We will soon see how much the new 912i P2008 weighs.

Actual weight between the New turbo 914 model and the 912i will be very simular as the engines are olmost identical in weight.

Sales are not as high as we would like but we have a few sold.

We are optimistic the the turbo option will be well recieved as no other manufacturer has really offered it.

Imagine being able to quickly climb at 1200fpm to get above the chop and then cruise at 120kts CAS at 10000ft which equals about 147kts true air speed.

It would also be great for anyone who flys at higher elevations.

Mark

Mark, I love the fit and finish of all planes Tecnam builds. Most LSA manufacturers could learn a great deal from Tecnam with respect to fit and finish. The latest P2008 looks stunning. If you ever have one out on the West Coast I'd love a demo ride. While I have a new 2012 CTLS that I enjoy very much, I'm always open to adding additional toys to my toy box! Adam in Los Angeles.

I agree with your question Flying C. I don't want the site to censor, but I also would hate to see it inundated by dealers for other Light Sport planes.

I realize that one post does not constitute any sort of issue, but it does make me wonder if FD dealers are posting on other manufacturer specific sites.---I see it entirely different for one of our non-dealer members to post pics of another brand of plane.

One answer might be a specific topic for showcasing other brands.

I don't see a problem. While this forum is CT-centric, we've always allowed talk about other planes. As it happens, most LSAs are powered by Rotax, so we have a lot in common. The weights of our planes cause us to share a lot of flight characteristics and techniques. Competition is a good thing... if a competitor has something up on a CT, it just pushes Flight Design to innovate. Without healthy competition we wouldn't have seen the "SW", the "LS" or the "SI".

We all do our share of crowing at other aviation sites. As far as "regulation" goes, I'm a big fan of not regulating when self-regulation is working. I just ignore topics that don't interest me...

Mark: While I am a partisan CTLS kinda guy, I welcome the competition, the Tecnam was in my final when I decided on the CTLS. You might take a look at some articles I have written about LSA ownership and flying cross country in an LSA, they are fairly universal. Welcome, I find this is agrea site and I have learned a lot through the discussions.

Dr. Ken Nolde, N840KN, 500+ hours of fun

• 2 months later...

I am not a dealer. I am new to this forum. I currently fly a Cirrus SR22 but am actively looking to move to a LSA...not for medical reasons but financial ones....my wife says I should retire soon and if I do I need something with more affordable operating costs than our Cirrus.

I personally would appreciate reading discussions of other LSA's, comparisons, and how folks finally made their decision. We just spent a day at the LSA EXPO and spent time at each of the booths. So far, the CTLSi is my overall favorite and probably my final choice. Have not test flown yet. But I have to say the comfort of the Tecnam interior was impressive, with better seats, finish, and storage. I did NOT however like the limited visibility for me in the Tecnam. Turning to the side, at my eye level, was opaque structure. I preferred the visibility out the CT.

As I said, I would find discussions and comparisons helpful.

And I look forward to hearing from you all.

Larry

N85WB

Larry,

You will have no problems transitioning to a handbrake.

When I bought my CT in 2007 I looked at several LSA. I wanted high wing and side by side and there were several to look at. Final decision was based on:

1. wider cockpit

2. 34 gal. fuel. Most seemed to be 24 gal. or less

3. 110 baggage. Most LSA at the time seemed to be 50# or so.

4. easy in/out

5. great visibility

Now, can you put 2 of me at 200#, 34 gal, and 110 baggage at the same time. No. But it gives you options. There are many planes in the GA world where you can't fill all the seats, etc so this is not unusual.

I also made a choice based on which manufacturer was going to be around for the long haul. So far so good.

OK

Need to reply to this. There is some misinformation given above.(may have came from a misprint on our website)

First I want to say the CTLS is a very good product. There is no denying that.

However the P2008 has alot of great features and is more of a traditional part 23 type aircraft.

1. Tecnam is easily the worlds largest producer of LSA aircraft with history dating back to 1948. Maybe not the largest in the US but definitely largest wordwide.

2. Tecnam believes metal aircraft are easier and less expensive to repair. Thus the reason for the metal wings and tail. The fuselage is carbon making the aircraft slick and fast.

3. The P2008 will easily cruise at 120kts like the CTLS.

4.The P2008 displayed at the sebring Expo DID have the 912 injected installed. We have several 912 injected P2008s here in the states.

5.All P2008s come parachute ready. The parachute itself is optional and can be installed at any time an owner wishes. (we have found some owners do not want the parachute)

6.All P2008s have 32 gallon fuel capacity. Fuel will last longer than your bladder! P2008s have always had an andair fuel selector.

7.We are aware of the visability issue for some pilots and will have a redesigned seating position available very soon.

8.The P2008 easily has more storage area. The cabin is slightly narrower but definitely more storage in the P2008.

9.The P2008 has traditional differential toe brakes. This is one of the reasons we have very few crosswind runway incidents.(demonstrated crosswind 17kts)

10.We offer three main avionic brand choices. Garmin, Advanced Flight Systems and Dynon. All three are very good products however the Dynon Skyview is our lowest priced least capable system. It is however still a very good system.

11.The P2008 has never been an ELSA.

12.Be sure to check out the new paint schemes. I apologize for not getting the new paint scheme to Sebring but that weather front just would not move!

13. Tecnams are well known for exceptional handling and landing charactoristics.

14. Tecnams have comfortable fore and aft sliding seats that tilt and recline.

I am in no way knocking the Flight design. It would not be where it is if it wasnt good.

Thanks for letting me post.

Mark Gregor

Tecnam North America

If you are really being objective about looking at what LSA to get then you will be able to see why the Flight Design CTLSi is a pure winner. Remos, Tecnam, Carbon Cub, even Pipistrel (which is the second best out there) cannot compare to the full set of features in the CTLSi. You do not want a metal anything on your LSA. the wing struts alone are a laugh, like I said much like the loser Cessna skycatcher. Look VERY close at each and every aspect of your choices:

1. full design and feature set of the airframe and PROVEN track record of those flying the make/model you want

2. avionics (nothing less than dual Dynon skyviews, Garmin 796, ADS-B, Dynon autopilot all cross integrated)

3. factory built and factory quality tested

4. standard equipment (like a ballastic parachute and realistic baggage area for both size and weight capacity)

5. number of aircraft sold (goes to reputation and others who made the same decision you want to make and what they got)

6. test fly - go rent one and try it out, for each of your possible choices

7. don't even consider buying new at this point unless you can get the 912i (no carbs, redundancy up the kazoo)

8. size, fit, and fell of the cockpit (for those longer flights)

9. reputation of the maker for quality and warranty backup (FD is the ONLY LSA maker in GAMA)

10. compare price points down the line. you usually get what you pay for (ie. resale value holdup etc)

I think that the following are wise words from the Rans web-site regarding an honest look by each individual as to which airplane is right for them including all the factors which go into that decision.

Everyone thinks and believes 'their airplane' is the best, and are tempted to knock the rest. At the end of the day, the guy that chose the C-162 can be just as happy in their own way as the guy who just bought the top of the line 912i powered CTLS.

In the end, we're all flying....and hopefully we're getting much joy from doing it, and isn't that what it's all about?

From Rans:-

"After long experience, we’ve found it more useful to think – at least initially -- about the mission, rather than the airplane. Instead of asking “which airplane” ask “what, exactly, do I want an airplane to do?” There are a lot of factors that come into play here. Personality, stage of life, family, budget….it’s all part of the mission statement. The better the mission is defined, the easier and better the choice of airplane will be. Defining the mission will require making decisions, not avoiding them. It requires (sometimes painful) introspection and honesty. An airplane knows nothing about dreams. It does what it can do."

Both Tecnam and FD are very good aircraft. Tecnam was on my short list but in 2007 the CT was my #1 choice. Might be different today. In the end, it comes down to which one YOU like best. If your interests are in off airport and backcountry then Cub Crafters and Legends Cub are top choices.

There is nothing wrong with a metal LSA. Among others, the Vans RV-12 ELSA is a good example. In the short time it has been available about 200 have been completed and are flying. About -12 500 kits have been sold. I have flown the -12 and the flight characteristics, control harmony, etc are hard to beat. My neighbors -12 will out climb and out run my CT. Incidentally, the -12 will soon be available as an SLSA for about $120K. Vans is a long time kit plane manufacturer with over 15K kits out there and about 8K flying.

Another thing to look at is empty weight. I don't know the actual figures but I think the P2008 with a chute is substantially heavier than the CTLS.

As for the injected 912, although I am very interested in it, you might ask who has had the training to work on one and when will that training and necessary equipment be available. My understanding is that the "equipment" will only be available to those who get the specific training. Unless you get the right answers backed by fact, you might not want to be the first kid on the block to have one. Once this is cleared up, it will probably be the engine of choice.

I own a cirrus sr22 and a CTLS and really have no issue with hand brake vs. toe brakes and have actually come to like the hand brake. For me the rudders were the hardest thing to get used to since at first they seemed stiff to me but no longer an issue. Funny thing is I feel the cirrus and ctls land in a very similar process. I test flew several Lsa's and the ctls felt the roomiest and most open.

Archived