iPad Mini in the airplane

FredG

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one loaded with Foreflight. It's a wifi version I supplement with a Bad Elf GPS that plugs into the bottom and is still a great fit even with a Lightning adapter. The whole thing sits squarely on my leg with little to no overlap; I think it's much handier in the cockpit than a "regular" iPad. Now, if I can only find a leg strap or kneeboard that works with it...!

• 3 weeks later...

I may have already mentioned that I'm waiting for the iPad mini with LTE, and maybe by the time I'm ready a "retina" display.

Yesterday I wanted to just use my iPhone for WingXPro7 for a trip to Knoxville w/Karen. Could not find any of my belt clips for the Otterbox.

As my Mom would say, I had a "Viola!" moment:

8208639438_953fbea6d4.jpg

Used the open end of the 3" RAM arm as a clamp, and it worked just fine.

In flight on the way home, I rotated it down a lot, but it worked perfectly in the lower position as well.

I might not clamp directly to an iPad Mini or and iPhone, but in the Otterbox case this seems like a workable solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one loaded with Foreflight. It's a wifi version I supplement with a Bad Elf GPS that plugs into the bottom and is still a great fit even with a Lightning adapter. The whole thing sits squarely on my leg with little to no overlap; I think it's much handier in the cockpit than a "regular" iPad. Now, if I can only find a leg strap or kneeboard that works with it...!

I'd think some velcro tape would do the trick. One part around your leg, the other stuck to the back of the iPad.

• 7 months later...

I am new to Ipad, just bought a mini and I am using it with WingXpro. (I will show pix of my fancy mount soon). Does anyone know how to copy a document onto the dang thing so that I don't have to open an email to look at it? (I want to have the CT maintenance manual, rotax manual and my checklist).

WF

• 4 months later...

I did my first little cross-country flight with my new iPad Mini Retina today to Blairsville, GA to get my transponder recertified.

The iPad Mini mount I described earlier is going to work out (coming back into Copperhill, TN - click for a larger image):

11343698756_d54e4be531_c.jpg

Plus a short video of it:

That's the stock Otterbox screen protector, which you can see is highly reflective.

Next time up I'll try it with the Moshi AG and report back.

Oh, and did I mention that I'm lucky to live in an absolutely gorgeous part of the country?

Eddie, is that a suction mount attached to the canopy?

Yes - actually two.

With one it was a bit wobbly - the pexiglas is not real thick and has some give. The second adds a lot of "triangulation" so it's pretty rigid.

I put 3M Dual Lock tape on the back of my Otterbox cover, which serves as a bracket, then the same tape on two RAM balls. Worked best with a 1" and a 3" arm for this particular install.

You can sort of make out the arrangement here, with the canopy open (click and it gets bigger):

11345706195_7d1e1b2433_c.jpg

A lot of work when you can just mount a 7 inch touchscreen Garmin 796 in the dash and get yourself a no glare screen with GPS and sectionals. No substitute for a GPS antennae OUTSIDE the plane too.

How about you buy me one, and I'll see if I can make it fit?

Archived