2005 vs 2006 CTSW

Andy

I've got a student (and his wife) who are going to start training in my 2006 CTSW and are close to closing a deal on a 2005, which we will complete their training in if the deal goes through. I've read Dan Johnson's article in Sport Aviation which compares the two and feel I have some idea about what differences to expect: but I'd really appreciate any "words to the wise" from anyone who has flown both aircraft. Thanks!

Hi Andy. I trained in both a 2005 and 2006 CT. Although the vert stab size was increased for 2006 to provide greater rudder authority, I really didn't see much difference between the two in regards to X-winds but understand that I was not pushing the envelope for this during my early training. As I recall, there may have been an increase in the diameter of the aluminum main gear struts for 2006 which increased the input to my seat from taxiway and runway bumps.

Hi Andy. I'm thinking that there may have been some changes also done with the spring resistance in the ailerons but not sure. Maybe Roger Lee or perhaps Arian at FD could comment on this. Perhaps the difference noted in slip recovery was due to rudder change? At the time I was flying the 2005, I had just started my training and didn't start doing slips until my transition into the 2006. I can't compare the difference in slip response between 2005 and 2006 CT's due to this .

Archived