Matco Brakes

We have decided to install Matco Brakes on our 2007 CTSW. What is the best way to proceed with this project, ie, how much are the parts and labor, where to get, and who is the best person to install. I understand that the wheels are changed out as well when the brakes are changed; which is what we want, as we had have three stock CTSW rims fail in the 4.5 years we have owned the airplane.

Hi Robin,

This could be a long post so it would be better to call me and I can tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the Matco setup.

In a nut shell. You end up replacing everything in the brake system except the brake lines. master cyl, calipers, pads, disc, wheels, axles and tapered roller bearings.

The old Marc wheels have broken and I have one sitting here on my desk with a 6" split in the wheel. They are so thin that if the pressure in the tire changes so does the wheel size which causes the disc to bind up. The Marc master cyl. only puts out a rating of 60K psi where the Matco puts out 118K psi and has a lot more volume. You won't have springs in the Matco brakes that hold the pads away from the disc. You get away from standard round un-serviceable bearings to commercial tapered roller bearings that are serviceable. You get away from thin pressed thin wheels to solid cut aluminum wheels. You get away from a backward brake design of a floating disc and solid caliper to a more modern design with a fixed disc and floating calipers. You get away from non adjustable brakes for toe in/out and camber to being able to adjust these for better tire wear and or tracking. The list goes on.

Depending on whether you want inner tubes you are looking at around $900-$960 for everything. The CTLS is slightly less expensive due to its leg design. Time for an install is around 4 hours depending on the mechanic. I will be happy to talk you or your mechanic through the process which is fairly easy. It's more time consuming than anything else. You will have only one hole to drill and the rest is just mount it up and flush the brake fluid to get rid of air.

Let me know.

I'm going to go out on a little bit of a limb here and try to guess what has caused Marc Engegno wheel failures.

First pressure. Not enough or too much. I would guess 90%+ of the time it isn't enough and when you land it cause the thin and flexable Marc wheels to flex, especially with a slight side load. I don't think many are over pressuring tires. I think the constant flexing of the metal causes it to fatigue just like when you bend a piece of wire too much it weakens and then breaks. Will keeping the pressure up to 30-35 psi keep this from happening, I don't know. The number of landings may play a part. If you have lots and lots of landing verses someone who rarely practices landings the continued flex may play a part here.

Archived