Transponder Fail

Doug G.

I put an Airgizmo into my 2010 CTLS. The first flight went fine, now, sitting in the hangar I get a "Transponder Fail" warning on both Dynon displays. I know the cable for the transponder has a 90 degree turn in the two inch space between the transponder and the firewall. I am thinking this is the source of the problem. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

Agree with Adam - need more info.

I have had transponder problems when I upgraded my Dynon. Somehow a wrong setting did not allow mode C to work. Tranponder worked fine.Once correct setting on Dynon it all worked.

Another time the center stack was not going all the way in, so the plug was not quite making full contact. Filed down the edges of the opening so it went in more and all was well again.

Original support brackets for transponder were too short which allowed the weight of the unit to break the center panel.

Went thru two center panels before this was discovered.

Is the Airgizmo the angled one ?

It is a dual Skyview D-1000s and a GTX 330. I have not rolled the plane out of the hangar to try ATC. No, the airgizmo is straight.

Is there any way it could have to do with the connectors at the GPS? Doesn't seem like that should cause a transponder issue.

This is odd. I double checked the plugs on the 696 and everything now seems fine. It was too windy and low ceilings today so I did not fly to check things. I am quite certain that the problem was communication with the Dynon units - meaning it would not display the transponder info on the screens. If it returns I suspect the data line from the back of the transponder. I seem to have treated the symptom - and will find out if it was a cure.

Doug, given you changed no avionics hardware, simply just installed (added) an airgizmo dock you must have one of two things going on... Marginal intermittent wiring connection (since this started after everything was disturbed during the airgizmo dock install) or just a case of the Dynon Skyview needing a reboot to resync. If the problem persists I'd reseat connectors first. While disconnecting and reconnecting each connector do a quick visual scan of the pins to make sure none are pushed back into the connector body causing an intermittent connection.

Adam, that was what I had gone out to the hangar to do. But, rechecking the connections on the GPS made the message go away. Is should have added that the display did not show the error until I put the Garmin in the dock. I had flown locally without it a couple of days before and all was fine. I need to do an upgrade on both my 696 and Dynons tomorrow (regular life took up time today) and then go fly and see if the issue returns.

Thanks for the help - I'll keep you posted.

• 10 months later...

Archived