Some odd Dynon behaviour

Ian

A little advice on where to look would be very welcome please....

A little background - my CTLS is based at a grass field which is now very muddy (this is England in winter!) and only just flyable. I flew just over a week ago and on landing the aircraft picked up a fair amount of mud spattered over the fuselage and onto the elevator - I couldn't wash it off as the water supply at the airfield automatically cuts of if there is a danger of freezing (and there was and still is!!) - however on the flight everything seemed perfectly normal and all instruments worked fine.

Today - it had stopped raining and I decided to go flying (still too cold to get a hose and wash it), so pulled the aircraft out and started it up - Outside temp was 0, QNH 1025mb which I set on the Dynon D-100 giving an indicated field elevation of 174' which is about as expected. After a couple of minutes I noticed that the manifold pressure indicated on the Dynon D-120 EMS was off the scale with the numbers in red! Other indications (oil pressure, oil temp, volts, amps etc seemed OK)

So I switched off, took a look around, took the cowling off and checked all the wires that I could, nothing obvious - so started up again. Immediatey the MAP indication went to the top of the scale, the D-100 changed its display colours and gave a message "Attitude Recovering" - eventually apparently resetting itself - BUT - the indicated altitude was now 190' with no change having been made to the Baro setting.

In addition on the D-100 as I increased the power (still stationary) the Indicated Air Speed started saying 19 knots and the OAT section on the screen said:

OAT 6C

-1260 FT

000KTS

and the angle of attack indicator suddenly displayed - as I reduced power the airspeed dropped back to zero and the AOA indicator disappeared (all with the brakes on standing still!!!!)

I'm somewhat puzzled at what is going on here - unlikely that both instruments, D-100 and D-120 have failed but both are giving spurious readings - however airspeed, altitude and Manifold pressure all rely on the static pressure - I'm wondering if that's the clue - could operating in very muddy conditions cause such a problem?

I'm ashamed to say I don't understand where the static source is taken from - no static vent on the fuselage that I can see, and no way to switch to alternate air.

Any thoughts anyone?

Many thanks

Ian

The static inlet is on the belly of the aircraft, about the size of small coin. With the conditions you mentioned, it's likely you have some mud/gunk in there.

John Stamper, in the UK, had posted some questions about the orientation of the port here a couple of years back.

Tim

Hello Ian,

I hope you know this - be care do NOT blow compressed air from outside in static port.

EFIS reseting has probable another cause - is happened that some units develop some strange behaviors in cold climate. Check if you have the latest firmware on it v5.4.3.

Regards,

Alec

Thanks Alec

I was puzzled by the Dynon reset as all the other symptoms I could put down to a blocked or restricted static vent (and I don't have an air-line to blow compressed air from!!) - I don't have the very latest software on, and it has been below zero here (though it was even colder last winter without any such problems) - I will clean out the static vent, then check things out before updating the firmware - don't want to do too many things at once

Cheers

Ian

Archived