GoPro Hero 2 vs 3

FastEddieB

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's odd Eddie. The reason I found Twonky was an article complaining about the fact that there was no YouTube channel for the Roku. I wonder if it was available once and no longer is.?? It will be interesting if you can find it CT, I haven't been able to. I can get it on our Wii, but seldom have that on.

I've read something along the line that youtube used to be available on earlier Roku's thru another means. Something changed don't know what it is but at the moment the thinking is that Plex is currently free and an obvious must to a cable cutter and youtube can be viewed via Plex so for now its the way to go.

Let me again make a pitch for the Apple TV. $99.

Combined with even the least expensive iPad Mini, or even an iPhone, it's a great combination. Anything you can bring out up on the iPad or iPhone can be thrown up on the big screen. They can even be used as remortes. Since we cut the cord, it's how we watch news and a couple of ABC programs. Has YouTube and Vimeo and Flickr and NetFlix and HuluPlus right out of the box.

I'm sure there are ways to do this via Windows and Andoid, and it isn't always as seamless as one would hope in in Apple world, but when it does work right its quite amazing. 95% of our TV watching is through the Apple TV, the remaining 5% is via CDs from Netflix.

BTW, Apple's WWDC is coming up on Monday at 9a Pacific time. Possibly some new hardware and software to be announced.

Here's hoping.

BTW, Apple's WWDC is coming up on Monday at 9a Pacific time. Possibly some new hardware and software to be announced.

I've been waiting for this news... really hoping for an iPad mini 2nd generation announcement, but I think the whisper on the street is there will be no news about it.

I prefer OpenElec and XBMC myself, but you are right about Apple products working well together... as long as you are ok doing things Apple's way they rock.

I have an Apple TV which is unused. (The kids got it for me for Christmas, but I have nothing Apple, and I already had the Roku - go figure.) Anyway, if you want one, pm me and make an offer.

Someone should grab this! Quick!

If not, you might want to lock in a value on Gazelle ASAP - if Apple does announce something new Monday, the value of an older Apple TV may take a hit.

As an aside, Apple has always called Apple TV a "hobby", and not really promoted it all that much.

Yet a tech show recently pointed out that Apple has sold 16 million units.

ROKU is apparently closer to 5 million sold.

Kinda the reverse of what I would have thought.

There have been a number of reports of problems with 64gb cards and GoPro3. Often reported as the GoPro "frying the card". I'd stick with 32 gb cards, as they probably outlast the batteries anyway.

Tim

Had to blitz up to Knoxville and back, and Karen shot these from the back:

1) Accidentally selected a resolution that gave a 4:3 format. Select 480p in YouTube for sharpest results.

2) You can see I had to add some power at Knoxville to make the numbers - more wind down the runway than I allotted for.

3) Neither landing is quite as slow, or smooth as some I've posted before, but so it goes!

I bought some Windows editing software so I could split and splice my video to a smaller size before I upload to Youtube. I can't get output from the editor that looks good and is hi def.

If I upload the raw mp4 file to Youtube and edit there the result is good but takes a whole day to upload.

I don't want to buy a Mac, but I don't know what Windows software will work.

??

Ed,

I've used many, (corel, movie maker,, pinnacle, sony, adobe) but have found PowerDirector to be the best for me... No way of getting around long uploads for good quality vids. Might as well put up at least 720p, as Youtube will sub-process them into various quality videos. It won't be any different with Mac.

tim

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys:

I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents into this thread on two of the many issues touched upon. First, on Power Director (PD)11: It sat on my computer, unused for over 6 months, because it was so daunting. I hadn't a clue how to start, so I just kept plugging along with my old standby, Windows Live Movie Maker; but WLMM has no video "enhancement" or stabilization functions and I got tired of seeing other YouTube videos all jazzed up from the likes of PD and similar, high-powered, editing software such as Final Cut. So... on my last video, posted up just a few days ago, I bit the bullet and taught myself how to start to use it. The results, and PD's capabilities, are simply awesome! PD can definitely help take one's videos to the next level--provided you can learn to use it (I'm still making baby steps...so there's hope)!

Second, regarding GPH3 cameras: I decided I was going to pull the trigger on two black edition models to go with two GPH2 cameras (with bac-packs and remotes) I already had in my stable. That would give me four GPs--two for inside the cockpit and two for outside, all with remotes. Then, I could dump (actually: sell back to Amazon; hey, did you know you can do that?) my other eight or so Contour, N-Flight, and Drift cams. Trouble is, as some of you already know, those GPH3 camera reviews weren't exactly uniformly stellar; a whole bunch of them said (and still do claim) that the camera "sucks" and wasn't/isn't ready for prime time. So, to be sure I wasn't throwing my dough down a rat-hole, I ordered just one H3 black edition. And, what the hey, it arrived and performed flawlessly and beautifully, right out of the box. So, I ordered the second one, thinking it would surely do the same--and I could then go back onto Amazon and make a glowing 5-star report to refute the naysayers.

Well, the second "black" arrived and it was the camera from hell, let me tell you! It would work a short while, then flash me the "overheating" thermometer and shut down. GoPro was of zero help in resolving the issue; I had to resort to the net. And I shortly found some dude's video on YouTube with exactly the same issue--and he claimed he had discovered the "fix." It seems, that in the battery compartment there is an adhesive foil label and this label had inadvertently been plastered right partially atop the three little metal battery connections in the upper left corner of the battery compartment. Resolution was at hand by simply "tweezing" up the left corner of the foil and snipping it off with sissors. And damned, I opened up my camera from hell and that indeed was the exact problem--and fix--that I had. And now that camera, too, has been working like a dream ever since.

Moral of the story: the GPH3s are indeed awesome, and have some significant and substantial improvements over the H2s, but if you fork for one, just be advised that a certain percentage have quality control and perhaps other issues that you may have to work through. But for the best such technology currently out there, it's well worth it.

When I want cockpit audio now, I use one of the GPH2s, which have a mic-in jack; it allows connection from my headset to the camera and thus records radio and intercom, just like the NFlightCam. I haven't tried any cockpit recording with the H3, so I won't even venture an uninformed guess. There is no mic-in jack, though, I'm pretty sure of that.

PS: I'm using my H3s only outside the cockpit, because they are a little smaller than the H2s--and thus push less wind, mounted under a wing or on a cockpit step...

Archived