Blade Replacement

mocfly

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Chris,

You will most likely have to get the bladed from FD. You may find something from Airtime Aviation or Lockwood, but that is a little on the slim side, but worth the two phone calls. FD will be the best bet and you will probably need to send the entire prop back to them. If they don't have one then it may take a while as they or you may need to order one from Germany. If you need one from Germany you should order it yourself. My guess is the blade alone may cost $500-$600 and then if you send it in then it could double real quick. You may have another and better option for the future and go with a US made Sensenich 68" - 3 blade. About $2200.

For the very reason you are having issues getting a blade. They are from out of country. You will need to find one and no one, but FD in the US can work on them. It could take a month maybe two to get back in the air and that's if you are lucky. Sensenich is in Florida and you could call them and have one in a couple of days. The Sensenich 3 blade 68" verses the Neuform 3 blade 65" seems to perform a little better, but not enough to switch props just for that. Every 1000 hrs. you'll spend at least $800 to get the Neuform inspected. The Sensenich doesn't have that inspection. They have all day tech service and support by phone any time you need it. It has a better protected leading edge.

I would still like to know what happened to your blade. looks like it separated in the picture.

Roger,

It is separated at the edge. In looking thru all the posts here there seems to be some question as to length. If we go with the Sensenich do we go with the 68 or ask for a mod to 66?

What about the Warp props? Seems to be very inexpensive and they are giving 5% off in February.

Chris

Hi Chris,

On the Sensenich and FD publication the blades are shown as 64 through 68 inch. You could use a 66" if you want. I have a 68" and that is what FD was putting on the LS's. Here is the CTLS fleet approval and a installation draft showing the specifics for parts and mounting on a CTLS. The parts and mounting are the same for an SW, but you would need an LOA for your SW.

FD will not give any more LOA's for Warp Drive props. If you already have one and damage it then it could be replaced, but no new installations. The 68" Sensenich will out perform the 66" Warp in climb. Cruise speed seems to be equal.

Hi Bobby,

No time frame to replace a blade, only to inspect it at 1000 hrs.

Hi Chris,

Only you can answer that question. Did you ask FD about a Sensenich?

The Neuform may be a little less trouble paperwork wise, but take longer to get back in the air. I have a Sensenich 68" and I'm not seeing any issues. It is closer to the ground by 1.5", but so long as you aren't on real gravelly or dirt strips and running up real high rpm's it hasn't been an issue. Either prop will stir up garbage off the runway if you run the rpm's up high. The Sensenich has a much better leading edge protection over the Neuform.

G'day Guys,

I recently sent my Neuform in flight adjustable to Germany for a bearing and seals replacement.

They done a very thorough 750 hour service / overhaul at what I thought was a very reasonable price ( Approx $320 Oz)

They also carried out some repairs to damage done in transit. (thanks Australia Post) also at a very reasonable hourly rate.

The biggest delays and costs were compliments of the delivery and return agents. The delivery guys seemed to have a problem reading the address in Germany.

(It ended up in some customs station at a town some 30 kilometres away 12 days later despite being assured that it would be delivered and signed for at max 4 days)

It then came back to Perth West Australia via Sydney (check your map and you'll note that it crossed the continent twice for no apparent reason) The dudes in Sydney also advised that they were very reluctant to deliver it to a mailbox number. Obviously considered it to be more secure sitting on my door step 'til I got home from work rather than being in the custody of the local PO 'til I collected it.

Summarised:

I had no issues with Neuform and was very impressed with their service and the quality of their work.

Australia Post and Toll? Well that's another story.

Regards to All,

Duski Don

Hi Chris,

On the Sensenich and FD publication the blades are shown as 64 through 68 inch. You could use a 66" if you want. I have a 68" and that is what FD was putting on the LS's. Here is the CTLS fleet approval and a installation draft showing the specifics for parts and mounting on a CTLS. The parts and mounting are the same for an SW, but you would need an LOA for your SW.

FD will not give any more LOA's for Warp Drive props. If you already have one and damage it then it could be replaced, but no new installations. The 68" Sensenich will out perform the 66" Warp in climb. Cruise speed seems to be equal.

Hi Bobby,

No time frame to replace a blade, only to inspect it at 1000 hrs.

thanks Roger !!

• 1 year later...

Hi Roger.  If we convert to Sensenich, can we use our Neuform spinner or do we need to use the Sensenich?  Is the Sensenich spinner included in the price shown of $2,225?  Last question, how do you rate the pitch setting arrangement Sensenich uses?  Are you able to quickly and accurately set the pitch using this setup without needing to use protractors, etc.?

Hi Cdarza,

This prop looks like it has spent a lot of time outside in the elements and it looks like it has water erosion on the edges. Neuform props are not to be left outside. They will develope cracks. This would need to be completely stripped down and completely refinished by someone who knows props. It may be too far gone to re-finish, but someone there that is an expert with props would need to make that determination. Here in the US that prop if at all fixable would run around $1000-$1200.

It may be too far gone.

May i ask for opinions as to the condition of this Neuform Prop.  Small cracks on the leading edge, which i hope is just a paint issue (small nick also) The black rubber though seems to be quite worn

Based on the pictures I would be looking for a replacement ASAP. I would also advise that you keep the blades covered when left outside, regardless.

Roger,

Thank you very much for your opinion on that.  Gosh,  the plane is hangared 24/7 although, in an open door hangar so i do get some afternoon sun.  Rain or water damage shouldnt be a factor as it is kept dry.  This started a couple of years ago but is quite bad now as the pictures show.    Anyways, many thanks-   will check to refinish or buy new props and these ones go up as expensive wall decor.  ouch!

oh incase anyone might wonder, 2006 CTSW / 500 hours.

...and these ones go up as expensive wall decor.  ouch!

Propeller wall decor???

How gauche. 

Oh, and here's the prop from my Tiger after routine inspection showed it out of spec:

12433157513_d988631254_z.jpg

Oh, and in all seriousness, I would be very close to grounding that prop until it was inspected and/or reconditioned by experts. The consequences of slinging a portion of a blade are too dire to gamble with.

I believe i shall ground the prop /plane soon.  Very soon. Thanks for the advice, which i shall take seriously.   Emailed Neuform for an estimate but they want to inspect the props at their office before giving the recommendation for repair or selling me new ones.  Seems like i might be better off just buying the Sensenich outright.  

I like your wall decor Mr Benson!    Off to online propeller shopping..... 

Archived