2013 Baja Whale Petting Trip

CT4ME

The 2013 Whales Baja Fly-in trip is on the calendar. Mid-March 2013. The Whales trip rivals the Page Fly-in as a Great Flying Adventure. This years event will use Loreto as the home base. For those of you who have wanted to "do Mexico", but haven't, here's your opportunity. The trip is sponsored by the Baja Bush Pilots, and will probably have 40-50 planes. On our first trip, a few years back, 65 showed up. -More information-

To fly to Mexico, Sport pilots will need a medical (or a full Private license). Flying in the Baja is safe and a real hoot. I've gone three times but, unfortunately, can't make this trip. Do yourself a favor and check this out.

Here's some videos and pics from previous trips:

pics

Tim

Mexico flying = sport + 3rd medical, or Private (which already includes medical)

tim

I've never heard it put this way before. You're saying that in Mexico, a private license includes a medical? OK, learned something there. Good to know it in case I decide to head down Mexico way.

I was getting it confused with the US where many fly LSA or equivalent using a private or higher license for a certificate and a drivers license for a medical. We don't assume the pilot certificate and the medical are tied together. I was mixed up because one can be a CFI or glider pilot using a private and no medical or even drivers license here.

• 1 month later...

Didn't make this trip, but I heard they had perfect weather and nearly 50 planes. Next year for sure!

Here's a great video, not done by anyone in the group, but another solo-flyer who went about the same time... feast your eyes...

Tim

Jim, I think you are confusing who can fly LS versus the Sport Pilot License. A pilot with a Sport or Private (or above license) can fly an LS airplane. A private pilot must have a 3rd class medical, a Sport Pilot does not have to have a medical. I am a Sport Pilot and I do not have a medical. I cannot fly outside the US because there is no agreement with other countries that will allow me to.

It sounds like Tim is saying that if I got a medical I could fly in Mexico with my Sport License. I am not clear on what Mexico requires. I know I cannot fly in Canada without a Private class license, medical or not.

You need to have a medical to get, and keep a Private pilot certificate.

Generally speaking, you need a medical to get a private or higher pilot license (for one exception, see below - you can get your ATP certificate in a simulator with no medical). You do not need a medical to keep it. There is no expiration date on the back of your pilot's certificate as there is on your CFI certificate.

© Other pilot certificates. A pilot certificate (other than a student pilot certificate) issued under this part is issued without a specific expiration date.

(B) Operations not requiring a medical certificate. A person is not required to hold a medical certificate—

(8) When taking a practical test or a proficiency check for a certificate, rating, authorization or operating privilege conducted in a glider, balloon, flight simulator, or flight training device; or

A pilot with a Sport or Private (or above license) can fly an LS airplane.

True

A private pilot must have a 3rd class medical

Not true.

© Operations requiring either a medical certificate or U.S. driver's license. (1) A person must hold and possess either a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter or a U.S. driver's license when—

(ii) Exercising the privileges of a sport pilot certificate in a light-sport aircraft other than a glider or balloon;

The private pilot is exercising the privileges of the sport pilot but is not a sport pilot.

It does not say "exercising the privileges of a sport pilot." It says, "exercising the privileges of a Sport Pilot certificate," which, if you have a private pilot certificate, you do not have and therefore cannot exercise the privileges of said certificate. I cannot exercise the privileges of a private pilot certificate, even if I get a medical because I have not earned a private pilot certificate. This is one of the fundamental reasons pilots opt for the Sport Pilot licenses - so they can drop the medical requirement. It is also behind the move by the EAA and AOPA to do away with the requirement for the medical certificate for the private certificate.

If you are flying anything with a Private Pilot certificate without a medical, you are illegal!

Doug,

You are correct you (Doug) cannot exercise PPL privileges because you hold only a lower level certificate.

You are wrong in your final statement. I (Charlie) can fly my light sport without a medical as long as my current medical status is not 'denied' and I hold a valid Drivers License because I hold a higher level certificate.

You need to have a medical to get, and keep a Private pilot certificate.

As I think has been stated, we all need to watch our wording - it may show a misunderstanding or just be careless wording - the above is incorrect in its second part.

If you are flying anything with a Private Pilot certificate without a medical, you are illegal!

Boy, I sure hope you're wrong there! If you're not, a whole lot of pilots are flying illegally.

I do not have a valid medical now, but have not been denied. My Commercial certificate is still valid, as a Private or ATP certificate would be - they are issued without expiration dates. So, I've "kept" my Commercial license without having a medical.

The issue is whether I can exercise the privileges of my Commercial license sans medical, and the answer is "no". But that would change if and when I get a second class or better issued (for Commercial privileges) or a third class (for Private privileges).

The further issue is whether I can legally fly Light Sport with my Commercial and sans medical. I'm pretty sure I can, but will leave it to another to copy and paste the exact wording of the reg permitting it.

Back on point, it appears I could not legally fly to Baja. Since they thrive on tourism, it seems it would be in Mexico's interest to bring their requirements into line with ours. I wonder if any organization is working towards that end.

You can fly to Mexico with a LS license. The Baja Bush Pilots investigated this a couple of years back and there are some who do this. Mexico only states you must have a pilots license and a medical. The LS license is a pilots license and then you go get a separate 3rd. class medical. It just says a pilots license not any certain type or a PP license.

The LS license is a pilots license and then you go get a separate 3rd. class medical.

Aye, there's the rub...

Go to get the medical and fail, and you'd be hosed in this country as well.

Which is why many, like me, are opting for Sport Pilot limitations in the first place.

Sorry Eddie, I was not thinking of what happens with Commercial. I do know of Pilots surrendering their medical on their Private license and going through a process to obtain their LS certificate. I was under the impression that Private and Commercial needed a medical to be viable. Is this not true?

Doug,

You only need the medical to exercise the privileges of a PP or higher. You can do this in an LSA to operate at Night, VFR-on-top and above 10K feet. There are also a handful of LSAs that are IMC certified so, with an instrument ticket, you could bust some clouds. You may let your current medical lapse and operate at the SP level with a valid drivers license. EAA has a FAQ on this: http://www.sportpilot.org/faqs/Private%20Pilot%20Operating%20as%20a%20Sport%20Pilot%20FAQs.html Flying Magazine answered a similar question: http://www.flyingmag...t-homebuilt-lsa

The regs also have details on endorsements a PP does not have to have (airspace) since the PP training is inclusive of these.

... I do know of Pilots surrendering their medical on their Private license and going through a process to obtain their LS certificate...

I bet your wrong, that makes absolutely no sense. There is no need to surrender the medical you can simply allow it to expire. There is no reason to obtain a sport pilot certificate if you already have a private license.

http://www.sportpilot.org/resources/sourcebook.pdf

Existing Pilot Operating as a Sport Pilot

One of the benefits of the new sport pilot regulation is that it allows individuals

with higher-level pilot certificates (e.g., private, commercial, etc.) to operate under

sport pilot privileges. The FAA has made this transition very easy in that there is no

special certificate, endorsement, or test that an existing pilot needs in order to make

this transition. However, existing pilots who’ve had their most recent FAA medical

certificate or application denied, revoked, withdrawn, or suspended by the FAA,

are not allowed to operate using their driver’s license until they clear the denial from

their airman record by having a valid third-class medical certificate issued. To access

additional resources regarding medical requirements, visit the Members Only section

of www.eaa.org and click on the EAA Aeromedical Advisory link.

Here’s all that’s necessary:

> Your existing pilot certificate.

> Meet the medical requirements of a sport pilot.

> A current flight review recorded in your logbook.

> Fly an aircraft that meets the performance definition of an LSA.

> Operate within the privileges and limitations of the sport pilot certificate.

> Operate within your category/class ratings.

Doug,

You only need the medical to exercise the privileges of a PP or higher. You can do this in an LSA to operate at Night, VFR-on-top and above 10K feet. There are also a handful of LSAs that are IMC certified so, with an instrument ticket, you could bust some clouds. You may let your current medical lapse and operate at the SP level with a valid drivers license. EAA has a FAQ on this: http://www.sportpilo...Pilot FAQs.html Flying Magazine answered a similar question: http://www.flyingmag...t-homebuilt-lsa

The regs also have details on endorsements a PP does not have to have (airspace) since the PP training is inclusive of these.

Dave, which LSA's can be flown in clouds? I know you can train and fly IFR in some but didn't think any had the lightning protection needed to actually fly in clouds. I could be mistaken.

Lightening protection is required to by IFR certified under Part 23. S-LSA are governed by ASTM and your manufacturer's AOI for your particular plane. The ASTM expressly forbids IMC for aircraft manufactured after around 2011 (can't recall the exact date). Aircraft built before that date would be governed by your manufacturer/AOI. My particular AOI does not prohibit IMC, provided the manufacturer approves my plane and it's equipped to meet 91.205. I don't believe they would approve anything but it's possible.

I know of a couple planes that are IMC approved so it's really more theory than reality.

Going E-LSA would definitely open up the door since the owner becomes the manufacturer.

...it is crucial that a private pilot get their sport pilot check and endorsements BEFORE they fail a medical that pushes them out of the private pilot cert...

A private pilot would never "get their sport pilot check and endorsements" . A private pilot already possesses sport pilot privileges and the endorsements for over 87kts and towered airports. At least in most cases the pp would have the equivalent of those endorsements. Once the pp begins using sport pilot privileges it is unlikely that he would take another physical.

I believe the Bahamas is the only place adjacent to the US that welcomes sport pilots and higher with drivers licences for medicals.

I am pretty typical, I have a private pilots license and my medical is expired so all I had to do to begin flying again was buy the CT. FD delivered it to Mammoth with a CFI. We flew for an hour, he endorsed my log book with a new flight reveiw and I was good to go in 1 hour after not flying for 8 years.

Hi Gbigs,

"Also, a sport pilot cannot fly outside the USA UNLESS they first get permsission from the intended country to do so. If a country has a standing prohibition on any sport pilot, then asking is moot."

This is old school. That has been relaxed. Many LSA fly in and out of Canada, Mexico, Bahama's, Puerto Rico, ect...

They even have these fly outs published so anyone can join up with the group.

Hi Gbigs,

"Also, a sport pilot cannot fly outside the USA UNLESS they first get permsission from the intended country to do so. If a country has a standing prohibition on any sport pilot, then asking is moot."

This is old school. That has been relaxed. Many LSA fly in and out of Canada, Mexico, Bahama's, Puerto Rico, ect...

They even have these fly outs published so anyone can join up with the group.

Hang on. Mexico and Canada still do not recognize the SPL and will not give exemptions at this time. So PP has to have a medical to fly in either country. I wrote to transport Canada last year checking for people that wanted to join in the Alaska trip.

The IMC LSA stuff was covered in these threads

http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/163-s-lsa-to-e-lsa/page__hl__elsa

http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/81-ct-to-elsa/page__hl__elsa

In the interest of looping this thread back to its original context:

I do not recommend flying any LSA inside Mexico under IMC with lightning over water looking for whales.

Without a medical.

Canada requires a PPL and the other countries listed are good with the SPL. The Caribbean is open to SPL without a medical. They have been inviting us over there for the last couple of years. There is a large fly-in published every year and some of our forum members have gone.

Archived