CTSW Seat Shell

Jim Meade

My airplane is registered Experimental.

Has anyone knowledge of modifying or changing the CTSW seat? I've already used a different foam, as gliders use. Some help.

I'm looking for a slightly different shape. I'd be willing to use an entirely different seat or even make one. I'm looking for people who have experience or knowledge of such.

TIA

You can change the seat with cushions or foam. You just cant change the seats 'frame'. Or the seats mounting hardpoints.

One nice thing about having an experimental is I can legally change anything I want to. (If I change the wing design, I probably have to go back and get an new Operating Limitations letter, but for something like a seat I'd make an airplane log book entry.)

I use that 1/2 pink and blue stuff too and helps quite a bit. I also do this weird thing with strap webbing to the front bar and wing bolt thingy to make armrests which help with my lower back which gets achy after 4hrs or so. Easier to just show

http://www.johnea.net/~kurt/sleeper/armrests.jpg

Helps with the 6hr non-stop flights like from Page

Larry,

You can always check this kind of info by looking up an airplane in the FAA database. Here is what mine is :

Engine Manufacturer ROTAX Classification Experimental

Engine Model 912ULS Category Operating Light-Sport Prev. issued cert under 21.190

A/W Date 09/23/2011

There are a few different reasons memory foam is not the best material for our application. One, it is temperature sensitive so it is usually very hard when cold and too soft when it warms up. After sitting on it for a short while you will sink right to the bottom of the seat base. Another it is quite heavy compared to regular foam and likely will not pass the burn cert. It also holds heat well so in the summer it will make your even hotter. If we had 4-6 inches of padding in out seats instead of 2-3 it might work if it wasnt so hard when cold. The proper mixture of foam density along with another inch or two of padding is the answer in my opinion.

There certainly is room for improvement in the seat design of all the LSAs I have sat in. My 182T has the best seats of all new aircraft I have sat in. The new 26G seats in the cirrus are not real comfortable either but may be safer in a hard landing.

Mark

Jim,

When you changed it to Experimental what experimental did they classify it? It certainly is not amature built so is it then Racing and exhibition?

Wondering because the Phoenix FSDO has very tight reigns on the R and E Experimental.

Thanks,

Larry

This confuses people because there is no equivalent conversion for ordinary certified aircraft. Here is the detailed thread

http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/81-ct-to-elsa/page__hl__experimental#entry1339

Archived