Gas cap swelling

I have had my LS for a few months. Previous owner ran 100LL exclusively. I'm using 91UL. Last week I noticed the right fuel cap now turns so tight I can't move it by hand anymore. Took it apart to inspect and all I can make of it is somehow the tolerance has become less where the round male-female parts come together. It's just plain too tight. Since most of you run unleaded gas I wondered if anyone else has had issues with the gas caps becoming virtually inoperative. The left one still works but it's getting tight too. -George

Thanks. I figured something like this would have been discussed before but a few minutes with archives didn't produce anything. I didn't look far enough.

The FD letter is rather carefully worded, isn't it. No blame on the fuel. I figure since the airplane is not only approved for E10, and Rotax claims unleaded is preferred fuel, then we shouldn't have much to worry about otherwise. However the sudden change in the caps did catch my attention. They do not leak yet, just can't open or close without a tool. And, the problem is indeed in that part of the cap the letter says to remove.

Lastly, can I do this myself as owner-pilot?

Archived