Engine oil running 230 today

Scrapman1959

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"If I had to do it again or if I have to do it again I would buy or build the higher capacity cooler. "

According to Leading Edge, I have the larger oil cooler already.

That would be the same cooler we all have, Leading Edge and other Rotax distributers don't have the higher capacity cooler that FD has used on Float and Tow planes.  That's why I contemplated paying FD's $2,000+ price but then realized buying Seatrab's series 6, 19 row cooler and mating it to the radiator myself would be $1,500 cheaper approx.

I figure that since this happens to some Rans, some RVs and some CTs and no-one has had a discovery of what the common problem is that the higher capacity cooler makes more sense than checking the same things over and over.

• 5 months later...

Roger,

Do you remember the 70s show "Maude"?

"God will get you for that."

;-)

I still hope the next time you put your mitts on my airplane will be her next annual in June!

I was just wondering if you have managed to sort out your high oil temps?

I have been plagued by high oil temps for some time now and came up with some interesting findings

His temps should be fixed. It was a reduced radius in a line. I fixed it and then flew it. His temps were the same as mine at that time. 230F is considered normal on climb and not a concern. It could fly at 230F all day. Even in a hot climate 240F is not unreasonable and usually should settle down around 215F-220F which is fine. Our OAT's in the SW US can be over 100F during the days on a regular basis.

Every plane and Rotax engine can easily be 0F-20F different in oil temps depending on setup and the gauge. So long as they are within the normal range they don't have to be equal to the other guy.

I was just wondering if you have managed to sort out your high oil temps?

I have been plagued by high oil temps for some time now and came up with some interesting findings

The bottom line: it appears I was chasing my tail. My experience in the Lycoming and Continental worlds were misleading me to believe I had a problem. As Roger states, he tweaked and it got better, but he doesn't think that my airplane was out of line with other Arizona CTs.

:D

Archived