New Student Pilot - Just saying hi!

I am learning how to fly in a Cessna 162 but I really like the CTLS... My goal is to purchase one next year when I get my sport license.. Long way to go. Did my intro flight on Fathers Day and started ground school today.

Hoping one day I meet some of you on a fly out - so just thought I'd introduce myself!

David

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a lot of price difference, which makes the comparison even less valid. Not sure, but I think Cessna shot themselves in the foot with the Skycatcher. Still, it is a good plane to learn on. There will be transition to the CT though.

I've spent many hours reading up on both airplanes. Everyone seems to like the 162, and it seems to be known as a solid aircraft, primarily of course because its Cessna. But I gotta tell you, the more and more I read this forum and others, i am really liking the CTLS-i. And price wise - seems to be close. Base on 162 is 150K and 156 on the CT..

Thanks for all the responses. I am studying "Learning about ground operations" today... :)

The doors coming off in flight didn't help their reputation, although they came up with a secondary lock to fix it. (Not fond of the plywood floorboards either.) But it flys well. I don't think they sold well and now they have stopped production, I believe. As I said, no comparison to the LS. (I have not flown an SW so I can't compare.)

See I have nothing to go on as the sky catcher is the only plane I ever flew. But as soon as I am licensed I plan to find a CT dealer for a test flight. I am already 90percent on the CTLS.

Does anyone know the closest dealer or school that as one I can fly after I'm licensed near Jacksonville Florida ??

Another question. How much time will I need in the CT to get used to flying it after I am licensed? Is it possible to get training as part of the deal with buying a new one ?

Thanks all!! Sorry for bad typing. On iPad.

Emini. Are you training in the skycatcher? If so, you will have some readjusting in the CT. The skycatcher is chinese built, all metal & fiberglass, with a Continental O-200-D engine.

Yes, learning, or should I say starting to learn in a Skycatcher. Could not find a CTLS in JAX :(

Both planes are high wing, but the skycatcher has wing struts - the CT has no wing struts and more windows so visibility is much larger. The CT is built in the Ukraine by a German based company and is all carbon fiber design. The CTLSi also has an advanced Rotax fuel injected engine that can run on Mogas.

The cabin is also cramped in the skycatcher compared to the CT - 44 versus 49 inch width.

The skycatcher also has an odd device called a stokel. a stick/yoke combo hanging just below the dash. the CT is standard stick and rudder.

The new CTLSi versus the skycatcher will also give you the impression the CT is quicker and a little tougher to land because the CT is so slippery, it is. To land the CT properly you will find a vast argument on this site over how to do it. The main difference is the skycatcher will lumber and you will usually use a stall landing to get it down, most Cessnas fly that way. The FD wants to keep flying so you need more skill and more finesse to land it well. Both planes are built to last, so making a few mistakes in landing is no big deal.

The range of the skycatcher is about 480nm the CTLSi is 900 to 1100nm. So you can see the fuel efficiency is also vastly different. Plus you can use even cheaper fuel in the CT by using Mogas versus 100LL.

This keeps confirming that this is a great plane! Can't wait to fly one! Thank you!

Check the Flightdesignusa website for dealer and school info.

Yaeh, been browsing their site. It's not that intuitive :)

I figure its going to take 4 months (estimate) to get my license. That puts us towards the end of the year.. Maybe I can get my paws on a new 2014!!

You don't have to adjust mixture on the carbed 912 either. Many aircraft engines (probably most non-turbo engines) are compatible with mogas. The real problems are the fuel systems are often non compatible with any ethanol in the fuel, and the expensive STC the FAA requires to run mogas.

Yaeh, been browsing their site. It's not that intuitive :)

I figure its going to take 4 months (estimate) to get my license. That puts us towards the end of the year.. Maybe I can get my paws on a new 2014!!

Then you better order now!

MrMorden. The basics on the subject of fuels is that Avgas is the standard for all GA aircraft (not jets) and the newer engines just coming to market are able to burn Mogas with E10 and even E20 in Europe. The point being expensive leaded Avgas versus cheaper common auto fuel bought from any gas station like 91 octane E10 here in the USA. None of the GA aircraft and even some LSA with the 912 cant burn E10. Not unless they have eliminated the rubber and neoprene lines and parts that E10 eats. The FD CTLSi has taken care of all of that. One of the few on the market that has.

Mogas simply means gasoline intended for automotive use. It may have ethanol, it may not. It is true that most mogas does contain ethanol, but that is not a given; there is a station near my airport that sells ethanol-free 91 octane mogas. Many, many airplanes can run just fine on this ethanol free mogas, and there are numerous STCs (Supplemental Type Certificates) for 60 year old certificated aircraft to run mogas, so this is nothing new.

As Roger points out, the Flight Design aircraft have always been fine with ethanol-blended fuels, and in fact IIRC Flight Design now allows ethanol up to 15% in *all* of its aircraft. Your assertions that the CTLSi is the first airplane that does away with the need for ethanol free fuel, and also allows automatic mixture control, are simply incorrect.

The effects of E10 on the older 912 models is explained in this Service Bulletin from FD: http://flightdesign....S-CT_-07-en.pdf

I don't see anything in that service bulletin that does not apply equally to the fuel injected engine. It's informational in nature and talks about the miscibility of ethanol in both water and gasoline, and the potential for separation causing engines to get a dose of 90%+ ethanol. The fuel injected engine is not any better at handling that than the carbed version. The ethanol washing debris downstream issue applies equally to all fuel systems. In fact, every action suggested to minimize the risk due to ethanol content applies to the CTSi as well.

I see no mention in that document of carbs or ignition. I don't believe 10% ethanol harms either one.

--

Archived