New Student Pilot - Just saying hi!

The fuel injected engine does not have carbs, and has corrected earlier problems with fuel filters and hoses that were prone to damage by E10.

Ah, so the CTLSi is immune to the five year hose replacement? I bet not. ;)

If you want to be bullet-proof on E10, get the latest CTLSi. If you want to fly mogas in older FD make sure to make the changes cited in the service bulletin.

That was my point, there ARE NO changes cited in that service bulletin. It's completely informational about best practices on how to manage the use of ethanol blended fuel in any Flight Design aircraft. There is not a single "change this" or "fix this" recommendation in that document. Anyhow this thread was not supposed to be about this, so I won't post about it again here.

I'm sure Roger is tired of saying "we're all good with ethanol" as well.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One big issue is the fuel valve behind the panel. First it doesn't hold up and 2nd its close to the low point so if there is phase separation it could get a pure ethanol bath and pee gas in your cab. They are likely all replaced by now?

It was fuel filters that needed replaced, not fuel valves. I pulled out some of the early plastic filters that were in really bad shape.

Recent builds are taking a year. You can pick one up at the factory, at least you could when they were promoting the Jubilee edition. Contact FD directly and get your options. If you are just starting your training now, order one soon and you will have your plane just after you license if you keep at it.

A year to get a sport license?

Stanton, MN has three more coming. Last I heard one is not sold - they originally intended it for their own use, but are willing to sell it.

Thanks for the info Doug! Might be a bit soon but i'll inquire..

Can you spec your own avionics with a new build? I see Garmin lowered the price on the G3X and has a new A/P and optional G 305 control. Would love to get that with maybe the GTN 750 with built in radio and xponder if they will do that...

There are options, but they are mainly more, or less things included, not so much choices of brands or specific versions of devices. I have no idea how the Stanton plane is equipped. Of the two I saw that were recently assembled one was minimally equipped and the other had all the bells and whistles. (Both of those were sold to customers and probably ordered that way.)

This keeps confirming that this is a great plane! Can't wait to fly one! Thank you! ... but if the planes hot, its hot!

I've owned a CT for 7 years and it is a fine aircraft. There are hundreds of other owners here that will tell you the same thing. CTs are short coupled and highly maneuverable so they are not perfect for every mission. As a personal aircraft its hard to go wrong because you have time to advance your skills if they are not up to the demands of a CT.

I'm reacting to your statements above, its a very fine aircraft but I read a lot of emotion into your statement and the fact that you are at this state prior to flying one.

Buy a CT because you appreciate the value, performance and capabilities, not because of hype that is best expressed by saying 'its hot'.

My 2 cents.

Ed I took eMini to mean that he needs to order one before he had planned to because it has a long wait time due to being in high demand, i.e. "its hot"., not that he was buying one because its hot in the stylistic sense. I think you're right though that many things should be considered before purchasing any plane, not the least of which is how it flies so he should spend plenty of time flying this and other LSA before deciding which is right for him.

I've owned a CT for 7 years and it is a fine aircraft. There are hundreds of other owners here that will tell you the same thing. CTs are short coupled and highly maneuverable so they are not perfect for every mission. As a personal aircraft its hard to go wrong because you have time to advance your skills if they are not up to the demands of a CT.

I'm reacting to your statements above, its a very fine aircraft but I read a lot of emotion into your statement and the fact that you are at this state prior to flying one.

Buy a CT because you appreciate the value, performance and capabilities, not because of hype that is best expressed by saying 'its hot'.

My 2 cents.

CT - Point very well taken! I appreciate it - alot! I thought for a moment that I was putting the cart before the horse... but with 1 year out - well I dont think so anymore. I honestly like the looks of the CT alot more than the Skycatcher. Thats what first got me attracted to it. But more and more I read it just seems its the way to go.

Well said!

I have flown ours from TN to NEW JERSEY, ORLANDO, HOUSTON and of course OSH. I wouldn't think of flying anything else that distance. The one time I flew our 172 from TN TO MICHIGAN I cried all the way.

The CT handles the higher DA's well. I have been flying everyday this week with takeoff DA's at 9000'. You do see a bit longer takeoff rolls and lower climb rates but so much better then a Cessna 150/172 or Cherokee. I still have no problem making pattern altitude by the downwind turn with a hefty student onboard.

N413F

coast to coast, boarder to boarder, North to South, East to West, now in Hawaii flying. CTLS make the country seem a little to small, need to solve that no medical internationa flying thing.

Farmer

Archived