Rain water in CTLS

After a pretty good rain, our 08 CTLS had water on the 'hat' shelf and headset plug area, and soaked the clothing that was in the left baggage compartment. Tape on the wing joint is pretty good, I suspect the chute panel is leaking. Any thoughts? Can the chute door be lightly siliconed? TIA

When I took a demo flight in a CTLS about 3 years ago it was after a heavy rain and even with the cover on there was a lot of water on the hat shelf. My aircraft was up at Arlington (Washington) last July, they had rain, everything on the hat shelf got wet.

So I keep the plane in a shade hanger to avoid this. Looking at the rear wing root area (flap rod opening as mentioned above) it looks like there are places water could easily seep in. I wish I could offer a suggestion to avoid it, other then to keep the airplane under a cover if it is going to rain.

Hi Znurt,

I doubt it was the chute hatch, too. I'm with Tip. The flap openings for one and if there was any missing wing root tape on the top or bottom of the wing. The tape should run from all the way over the top and all the way under the bottom. When I travel I have a water proof cover and it's just as good for dust and prying eyes. It weighs just 4.5 lbs.

post-3-0-76005700-1372288844_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-04783600-1372288848_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-62643700-1372288849_thumb.jpg

I'm not a Bruce's cover fan. They are either too heavy or the one in the pic doesn't cover enough and can be a little difficult to put on because of the elasticity. I have heard a few mention this that have had this cover.

Many of us have purchased here. It used to be called Cunningham Covers. If you do get one make sure it is a travel cover and you want one like the one I have posted that cover everything. They did come out with a shortened version once. You'll have to call on price.

http://aviationcovers.com/-.php

Hello Roger. Bruce here.

It's true regarding the heaviness factor on our standard covers, which have become more substantial over the years in order to withstand long term use outdoors. As LSA's came on the scene we developed lighter "travel weight" covers which are designed to pack small and go with the airplane, regardless (almost) of weight restrictions.

We currently offer two light weight cover designs. Flyaway Covers and Travel Covers. Flyaway Covers are made of featherweight Spandex, pack into incredibly small spaces, but don't weather well under repeated use. Flyaway Covers are good for a couple of overnights away from the hangar, but that's it.

Our Travel Covers are the better alternative in my opinion. They weigh in at less than half of our standard covers, and are made of a really nice material - lined and unlined - that is produced just for us. Travel covers are available in all of the same patterns and styles as our standard covers (canopy cover, canopy/engine cover, etc.), and function in exactly the same way as our standard covers.

Prices for all of our CT cover products are shown on line at: https://aircraftcovers.com/ctsw, and more products are added as they're developed or requested by our customers.

A quick glance at our orders for CT Travel Covers shows we've made them for about 3 dozen customers in the last two years or so. Overall, our sales of light weight covers are going very well, and that makes me happy.

Cheers,

Bruce Perch

Bruce's Custom Covers >> Aircraft Covers, Inc.

bruce@aircraftcovers.com

Hi Bruce,

Wow that was quick. Someone must have given you a call. :lol:

Does your travel cover all like the one posted above? Are they water proof? The whole idea is to keep rain and sand out of our openings because water will get in them. doors, cowlings, air intake, baggage doors, flap openings, wing roots, windows, ect. If it covers like the one posted above then it will work well. The one above is also lined with a soft something.

Would you consider making yours larger to cover all the openings like the one above? The ones I have seen of yours leaves too many water intrusion openings. I looked at the site you posted and it really should cover more.

Hello Roger. Bruce here.

It's true. Another FD guy emailed me and invited me to jump in. Hope that was okay. I understand the rainwater incursion problem. Seems like I deal with it every day for my customers. Judging from the conversation thread, no one is quite sure just where the water is getting in. That's pretty common too. On my own plane - a 1968 182 - the water finds its way into the door by somehow running down the door jamb and entering through the door limiter guide hole. The water builds up in the door cavity until I open the door, and then it drips out of a drain hole on the bottom.

So I know where the water ends up, but I don't really know how the water gets in, in the first place. And that is a point I want to make: Until you know how the water is getting in you won't know which part of the airplane you need to cover.

I could make a nice, complicated, expensive cover that encloses the entire cabin and wingroot area. That would be good for me, and actually I enjoy designing my covers for such highly complex shapes. Instead, I would recommend pouring a little water over the suspected leak area to see if it ends up where you think it does. If the hat shelf gets wet again, at least now you have identified the problem spot, and that would really be something to talk about.

Would I consider making a larger cover? Yes, absolutely, I would love to. Say the word and I'll work up a quote. And as with all of my covers now, it'll be available in standard and travel weight versions.

Meanwhile, enjoy that airplane.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Jump in anytime.

I have never had rain water get into my plane with this cover. From 7 years experience with the CT I know where water intrudes and it isn't just one place. It covers all the openings and area seams where doors open. It weighs 4.5 lbs. and is easy for one person to put on. Mine looks to be made from some rip stop material with a fleece like liner. From what I hear from my customers the spandex one that stretches is hard to put on by one person because it needs to be stretched for the fit and it isn't water proof.

• 1 year later...

Is aviation covers still in business. I paid for my CT covers and had to send them back for adjustment. Now I cannot reach them nor by phone nor by mail and UPS tells me that their account is closed. Did anyone speak to them recently ?

Archived