Wheel Pants and Air Speed

I would have thought more.

Much bigger loss on a Cirrus, but I guess that makes sense since drag increases as the square of the increase in velocity, so the difference between 120k and 170k is more than one might intuit.

I've considered wheel pants for my Sky Arrow, but every ounce of useful load is precious so I'll probably forget about them for the immediate future.

I think it really depends on the airplane design...when I was building a Sonex, the factory assertion verified by the building community was that pants and gear fairings are worth 10mph on the Sonex, which is significant. But the Sonex is an entirely different design than the CT, so in CT-land they may really only be worth 2-3kt. The Sonex also has shorter gear legs and entirely different gear geometry.

There is certainly a lot of hype on wheel pants verses no wheel pant speeds. In some planes there is a significant difference depending on speed, size and configuration. The CT is one where it makes such a little difference that it isn't worth worrying about. My personal concern without the pants is the debris that can now be thrown at the plane without them.

The RV-12 kit can include wheel pants which add, I think, 3-5 knots. What doesn't come with the kit, but some add later, are gear leg fairings which seem to add another 3-5 knots.

Unfortunately, the CT already has gear leg fairings so no help for us there.

Archived