Float bowl debris (was resin nodules in gascolator)

Rich

Good evening--------Today I took the plane up to do some TOAL's when I experienced loss of RMP on the second take off to about 4300. As mentioned in a previous post, this happened momentarily to the ferry pilot when he was returning my plane from Arkansas. It cleared and from that point in Ohio, did not repeat------We thought that vapor lock may have been the problem due to cool fuel on a hot day with one hour between flights--------Roger F thought it may be a blockage in the carb(s)------------Roger Lee suggested to remove the float bowls to look for debris that may be getting sucked up into the jet at high RPM's, then dropping out when RPM's were reduced------------Well, that was the problem. In the Right float bowl was what looked like rubber thread from a fuel hose approx 3/8" length and 1/4" diameter. In the left bowl was a small piece of the same material with two minute slivers of aluminum that were approx. the diameter of a hair and 1/4 inch long.-------------I removed the debris and test flew for .5 hrs. doing steep turns, climbs and variable throttle settings. The problem did not reoccur.--------This was the first time the bowls have been removed since new (85 hrs.)-----------I've posted three pictures of the problem-----------Thanks for all the replies and great suggestions and sorry for the dashed breaks. The enter button will not work tonight.-------Rich

post-1004-0-51645300-1373422188_thumb.jpg

post-1004-0-52850700-1373422246_thumb.jpg

post-1004-0-64237600-1373422452_thumb.jpg

If anyone ever has their engine stumble or loose power in flight the carb bowl should be the first place to check. It may not always be the problem, but most times it will be. Debris can show up anytime and it doesn't have to be immediately after a hose change. I would highly recommend that after a hose change at at the next inspection regardless of hours that the carb bowl be dropped and a look inside is warranted. It's a better safe than sorry or fore warned is fore armed approach.

Archived