Oshkosh 2013

Al Downs

Karen and I are toying with the idea.

I just downloaded the NOTAM, and I'm a bit uneasy about flying in.

Where are you located, and if we got to where you are would we have a way to maybe drive the rest of the way?

All very tentative at this point, dependent on weather and some other considerations.

But who knows?

If you wanted to you could fly to Racine and we could put your plane in my hangar and drive up. A little over an hour drive from my hangar. I am not experienced enough to fly there and the Notam scares the hell out of me.

Eddie, another good option is landing in Fon du lac. KFDL or KfLD I can never remember which. We land and tie down there every year for a few days. Bring tie downs for grass or they will force u to buy some. They run a temporary tower each year that week, as it is a busy little place just 20 minutes shuttle ride from Oshkosh. The shuttle is like 5 bucks and runs continous every half hour. Anyway it's much easier than the bee hive at Osh. I will have our motor home there thursday thru saturday, next to the road up against the fence facing north towards the ultra light grass strip. The Gutmans are two down from us. Ours is an American Eagle, plum and beige along Knapp Rd facing north. Stop by for a cold refreshment and some fine Wisconsin cheese after the expo closes each day. If you time it right u may be forced to join us for brats and burgers.

Thanks, guys!

I flew into Airventure once, and Sun 'n' Fun a handful of times, but always with another pilot who was familiar with the procedures.

Still sorting options, one of which is to ride up, turning it into our summer bike trip.

Will keep everyone informed - and thanks for the offers!

With all the money EAA had to pay to the FAA for the controllers.. you should read the Notam a give it a try :P .

Seriously, It is not all that bad and is a lot of fun.

Have the correct frequency, go to Ripon to Fisk follow the railroad and look for the airport.

Listen but don't talk.

Be able to land on a spot.

It is not all that bad. If you do it, Stop by the Flight Design Booth and say HI

Al,

If you want to fly up for a day, and can land on the dot, I would ride shotgun with you. I would love to have the experience of flying to Airventure at least once.

I am sure we can sort the Notam out with all the expertise we have at RSF!

Dick Kaehler

OK, our tentative Oshkosh plans are as follows...

Get up on Wednesday, 7/31...

Weather good? Fly the Sky Arrow to Racine, WI.

Weather bad or iffy? Drive to Racine, WI.

In either case, maybe stop in Peru, IN overnight, maybe not.

Then, most likely, drive the rest of the way with aldowns from Racine to Oshkosh for the day. Maybe even two consecutive days.

So, we'll probably be there 8/1 and 8/2 or 8/2 and 8/3.

My cell is 954-383-6040. Karen's is 865-898-9452. Let's try to hook up!

Just got home from Oshkosh. Flew from Racine to West Bend and picked up a co-pilot. Then into Oshkosh. What a blast and so simple I couldn't believe it.

When the NOTAM was issued, it confirmed my thoughts that it was way to complicated and dangerous for me. Only been a Sport Pilot for a year. Last week I viewed a video about the landing process and it gave me the courage and confidence to give it a try. Dick Kaehler on this forum offered to go with me which was the missing ingredient to make the final decision.

It was absolutely worth it and easy and safe. An unforgetable experience. Didn't have a lot of time there today but will be going back by car on Thursday (with FastEddie if he makes it to Racine).

Anyone else going to be there Thursday? We could meet to say Hi.

Al,

The plan is to be in Racine Wed. night one way or another.

Both the Sky Arrow and the Element are prepped and ready. Which we take depends entirely on the weather Wed. morning.

Right now CONUS is showing a big dark green blob right along our route for most of Wed. So we'll have to play it by ear.

We shall see...

Guys,

Lets get together for a beer call once you get into own.

There are 2 CT's in the camping area and if they are members it would be nice to invite them also.

Quick update.

No one had a tube for the nose wheel and I left my go-pack at the house. There is a farm supply outlet here the had the exact same ones as I typically (these are made in korea) vs malaysia and i only paid 4.97 each. I bought 5.

Based on this...

9401404816_38de2c3c22.jpg

We can leave this afternoon as it turns out, but that weather is moving west to east at a slow but steady pace.

We may head to Racine in the Element later today, maybe spending one night on the road.

Still put us in at Oshkosh (driving) on Thursday.

We'll advise our progress and when we arrive.

Guys,

Lets get together for a beer call once you get into own.

There are 2 CT's in the camping area and if they are members it would be nice to invite them also.

Chris, I'll be around Friday and Saturday. If you set a time and place would love to join in and introduce myself.

Archived