Garmin 496 Updates?

207WF

I'm looking at the Garmin 220 and the Dynon comm. 10W out vs 6-7W out. One is shipping and one is not. The Dynon form factor is interesting not but not compelling in all installation orientations. Garmin is cheaper. Dynon is not covering themselves in glory in the comparison. This is not how David beats Goliath.

Garmin 200 series looks nice. I love the large display. I was using the Icom 210 instead of the Garmin SL40 for this very reason. Being an Amateur Radio Operator (N8DDW), I'm a "Radio Guy". My critique: the Garmin SL40 is better build quality; the Icom 210 had better features and display. I'm hopeful the new Garmin series is the "best of both" but I have yet to play with one! (As a side note, when you buy an Icom 210 you need to buy the adapter bracket for the rear panel in order for it to be plug and play in an existing SL-40 tray. Once you do, it just slides in and out with no wiring changes at all to the plane.)

post-124-0-11094200-1375189716_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

I brought my 496 home for an update.

So... there are 5 separate updates (Airport Directory $50, Navigation Data $50, Obstacle $50, Safe Taxi $60, Terrain $150). So $360 for a one-time update, or $400 for an annual subscription, and on a microscopic screen that's impossible to see in sunlight?

Suddenly my Stratux/iPad/FltPlan Go combo looks a lot more attractive...

Archived