What do you think?

Patrnflyr

Ok, here's a thought... There's a lot of talk in some other forums about raising the LSA weight to cover a Cessna 150. For various reasons, this will NEVER happen as you and I already know. However, someone mentioned that they should at least give credit for the

BRS system weight to be added to our 1320 lbs so it wouldn't penalize those that are safety conscious. Also, it would probably give an incentive for manufacturers to add this system to their planes since it wouldn't penalize them. I was

thinking about this and then remembered the Terrafugia. It's a land based plane that had its weight increased to the amphibious level for "safety" equipment needed for driving on the road. I think the FAA has already set a precedent here for "safety".

Why couldn't we, as a group, approach the FAA asking for the BRS system weight to be added to our MTOW so we could gain a few pounds? An extra 20-30 pounds can go a long way. Open for comments...

John

How much does our complete BRS system weigh?

I believe the BRS weighs around ~35lbs. I also believe some countries allow a MTOW weight increase for ballistic parachute equipped aircraft (450kg to 472.5kg) so there is a precendent. The problem is that no one appears to be pushing the ASTM and the FAA for an increase. I was hoping Cessna would push the limit but haven't heard anything so I assume they're happy with targeting their Cessna Pilot Centers. That being said, the MTOW doesn't affect me that much. I can fill the tank, seats (with my normal passengers) and put in about 50 lbs worth of luggage without going over the legal limit. Works for me.

Ok, here's a thought... There's a lot of talk in some other forums about raising the LSA weight to cover a Cessna 150. For various reasons, this will NEVER happen as you and I already know. However, someone mentioned that they should at least give credit for the

BRS system weight to be added to our 1320 lbs so it wouldn't penalize those that are safety conscious. Also, it would probably give an incentive for manufacturers to add this system to their planes since it wouldn't penalize them. I was

thinking about this and then remembered the Terrafugia. It's a land based plane that had its weight increased to the amphibious level for "safety" equipment needed for driving on the road. I think the FAA has already set a precedent here for "safety".

Why couldn't we, as a group, approach the FAA asking for the BRS system weight to be added to our MTOW so we could gain a few pounds? An extra 20-30 pounds can go a long way. Open for comments...

John

How much does our complete BRS system weigh?

If we are banking on Safety, why stop there?...How about all SAs and SBs and SNs etc that add weight? For example, the firewall blanket upgrade for the older CTSWs....adds a little weight. No matter, a little here and a little there adds up overtime. Aditional oil line fire protection sleeves. They all spell saftey so why be penalized at all to comply. 35 here, 5 there, 40 or so additonal pounds is significant in these little very capable aircraft.

Archived