Your need to use a check list

Roger Lee

Hi Guys,,

All of the mechanics should be using a Rotax maint check list, an FD maint check list and a Discrepancy Report. You should get a signed copy of these when the inspection is done and keep them in a safe place. If you want the Rotax extended 2000hr. TBO, SB-912-057UL, you will need these plus you need to do an oil sample analysis annually or every 100 hours.

(Note* You have a couple of small parts to replace too provided you are in the correct engine serial number range.) Your oil analysis will have some different results each time, but you are looking for trends. AvLabs runs your sample through three times and will call you if you are red flagged. You also need to be keeping records of any SB's you have done as a SLSA.

All this is about having a mechanic do the job they are being paid for. Nothing less, nothing more.

Here is a "SAMPLE ONLY" Discrepancy List.

Here is the link to the Rotax Line maint. manual with the check list.

http://www.rotax-aircraft-engines.com/pdf/dokus/d02870.pdf

A Flight Design maint. manual check list link will follow shortly.

Hi Guys,,

All of the mechanics should be using a Rotax maint check list, an FD maint check list and a Discrepancy Report. You should get a signed copy of these when the inspection is done and keep them in a safe place. If you want the Rotax extended 2000hr. TBO, SB-912-057UL, you will need these plus you need to do an oil sample analysis annually or every 100 hours.

(Note* You have a couple of small parts to replace too provided you are in the correct engine serial number range.) Your oil analysis will have some different results each time, but you are looking for trends. AvLabs runs your sample through three times and will call you if you are red flagged. You also need to be keeping records of any SB's you have done as a SLSA.

All this is about having a mechanic do the job they are being paid for. Nothing less, nothing more.

Here is a "SAMPLE ONLY" Discrepancy List.

Here is the link to the Rotax Line maint. manual with the check list.

http://www.rotax-aircraft-engines.com/pdf/dokus/d02870.pdf

A Flight Design maint. manual check list link will follow shortly.

I noticed that the FD check list doesn't include mechanic signature like the ROTEX does. It's less binding/official is what I'm saying. May FD ought to make it more formal if it's that important. I know I've been around the bend on checklists with GA mechanics and been told the paragraph line and verse that the FAR allows them to make up there own checklist which can include aircraft MFG checklist items...and even couldn't get a copy of their checklist after the fact....Because there isn't one, I'm sure. But FD one is good, but not formatted like an official document with signature block.

It never fails to send a negative signal to me when I see the slooopy illegible and unprofessional penmanship/logbook entries that mechanics try to get away with.

I guess thats why one should not get themselves over a barrel in need of a mechanic right now if it can be avoided. That just opens the door for shody documentation. The unprofessional one will surely smell despiration and take advantage in O so many ways...can't count them.

Roger what aircraft log book do you recommend when the FD one fills up? Thx R6

Hi Doug,

You can use just about anything just so it has the sign offs in it. Doesn't even have tio be a book. It could really be a three ring binder.

I use these for my personal books.

From Aircraft Spruce: 2009-2010 edition and page 698.

ASA Aircraft Logbook SA-2 Hard cover (p/n #13-32384) has 96 pages $8.95.

ASA Engine Logbook p/n#13-32382 hard cover 96 pages $8.95

Both these books wear well and will last a very long time.

Archived