Look what I found in my hangar...

FlyingMonkey

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, one thing I noticed, the wires for the landing light do not have a sleeve around them (they have normal wire cladding, just no fire sleeve), and the way they run they contact the oil filter. Is this going to be a heat damage issue? The wires look fine, but over time sitting on a hot filter I can foresee a problem.

The Hawker is the European version of the Oddyssey PC310. They are the same company and battery. So if you ever need replacement it is the PC310. If you fly at least once every two weeks you'll never need to leave it on a charger. More than that great.

The battery tender may depend on location. In Iowa, I keep it on all winter. In summer if I'm flying often I don't use it, unless I get paranoid about starting before a given flight or if I'm using the electricity for some testing or inspections or something.

The battery tender may depend on location. In Iowa, I keep it on all winter. In summer if I'm flying often I don't use it, unless I get paranoid about starting before a given flight or if I'm using the electricity for some testing or inspections or something.

I'm in Georgia so it might never be an issue. I'll buy one to have it on hand and just play it by ear whether I use it based on how much I'm flying and how the voltmeter looks.

The wire are like that for almost all of us. I do put them back behind a piece of safety wire that goes to the magnetic plug when I do oil changes. You can use a plastic wire tie to anchore it somewhere more to your choosing.

I'll check that out, but there's not much slack and everything nearby I could anchor to looks like it will get hotter than the filter.

This forum is awesome. I get such fantastic (and fast!) advice here. Thanks so much everybody!

I don't tout aviation magazines, but do think that Aviation Consumer is worth the money. I am disgusted by how their publisher continually tries to get me to renew way before it runs out but that is a different story. They have useful advice. Cessna Pilots Association is one owners group with good info on cleaners. AvWeb and especially Mike Busch have interesting things to say about maintenance. I know Eddie likes COPA, which I don't follow. My point is that there are a number of pretty good sites for information which we can all use to inform our thinking on aviation, so while all of us appreciate what we reap hear I'm sure we all are still looking for and open to other sources to confirm or challenge our conclusions. In the meantime, I'm glad you are benefiting and don't forget to remain a critical thinker even while not becoming a "critical" person.

I have been turning on the avionics and cycling the flaps to demo for some people...how much of that can I do before worrying about starting? it's only been about ten minutes total so far.

You can do that many times, right until you forget to turn off the master, then the battery will go dead.

On your coolant question make sure you add with the same type of coolant that is already being used. If it is orange it is likely Dexcool 50/50. If it is a different color change it out to the Dexcool when you need to add or change fluid. The 50/50 is already mixed with water it is simply just poor from the jug and you are ready to go. Oh, and like the others congrats on the new plane.

Andy go to the flightdesignUSA.com web site and contact us button to register/advise FD of the updated ownership. One of the requirements of the ASTM is to notify the FAA but Also the manufacturer.

here is the link to the web page

Also here is more info..

LSA Regulations require the owner of an LSA aircraft to notify the manufacturer about a change in ownership. This is important so that you can be notified of safety related information regarding your aircraft. It is also required as part of the owner responsibilities for an ASTM certified LSA aircraft. Part 91.327 of the regulations requires the status of all safety directives be recorded and requires aircraft owners or operators to retain a record of the current status of applicable safety directives for special light-sport aircraft.

Congratulations

Archived