Look what I found in my hangar...

FlyingMonkey

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

==> Composiclean <==... I've tried, unsuccessfully, to contact this company for years. I just wanted to offer them a free spot on this forum where they could talk about their products and answer questions about the care and feeding of a composite airframe. I've called, left messages, and emailed every person and department I could find. Go Figure. Tim

Most, but not all over the counter coolants now days are dex-cool compatible. That wasn't always the case. Just keep some distilled water in the hangar. Coolant should be changed every two years.it only takes about 3/4 gal and can be done on a CT in about ten minutes.

Adam, your hangar looks very nice - far better than mine - but where is the large screen, the lounger, the fridge? You don't just FLY out of it, surely? :)

Has sofa, fridge, 42" TV with 100 free HD channels (thats what there is with rabbit ears in Los Angeles)... Carpeted, Swamp Cooler, all the comforts of home! Right now I just visit it and sweep any dust as I anticipate my 25th Anniversary Edition CTLSi (on the line being built as we speak). I sold my old/new CTLS too quickly.

post-124-0-40366400-1374783901_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-05736700-1374784063_thumb.jpg

Hi Adam,

Next time you need to buy an airframe oily grime cleaner / degreaser try "Oil Eater". I think you'll like it better than Simple Green. It cuts the oily grime quick and the oily grime will actually start to run off before you can wipe it off. Don't use this to clean the entire plane just spot areas like the belly or any other oily or greasy area.

Thanks Roger, I'll try it. I liked Simple Green because its PH Neutral and safe on composites. I'll assume Oil Eater is too?

Andy,

A couple other accessories for inside... First pic - Sheepskin Seat Covers. Bought on ebay. They are a Mercedes Accessory called "Sheepskin Inserts". I use a velcro strap up top, the attached elastic band in the middle and then just tuck the bottom under the seat. Comfy for hot days and cold mornings.

Next set of pics... As I said, I use a charger all the time because I'm not consistently getting up enough due to work schedule. I hate having an exposed wire for charging hanging underneath with a piece of heat shrink on it (how plane comes from factory). I instead installed a connector that stays in place with a small piece of velcro, put the other end of the connector on the charger positive lead and now when I plug in or unplug its neat, clean, easy and more professional looking.

post-124-0-76318600-1374784754_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-86530300-1374784815_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-09511300-1374784832_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-18045500-1374784849_thumb.jpg

Hi Adam,

Most grease cutters are not PH neutral. They are a base. Composiclean wash is PH neutral and that's why it doesn't do a very good job on greasy or oil things. You don't need to soak your plane just wipe it off. It hasn't hurt anyone's plane that I know of.

Hi Andy. You found a nice CT. A low hour CTSW that's been maintained as yours is probably the best LSA purchase one could make. My recommendations to keep things simple is Turttle Wax Ice for cleaning and polishing, 210 or one of the McGuire (sp?) plastic cleaner/scratch removers for the plexi, a bag of micro fiber rags, a CTEK 3300 battery maintainer (cheap but one of the best "set and forget" smart chargers) or the NOCO Genius "set and forget" maintainer and just plain cheap rubbing alcohol for yellow exhaust stains on the belly. Oh yeah, and some ibuprofen to help with sore facial muscles due to smiling for the next few months!

For grease and/or exhaust stains, a lot of Cirrus owners use "Scrubbing Bubbles" bathroom cleaner.

As a caveat, the label does warn against using on painted surfaces. However, if spayed on a small area and the completely wiped off it seems to have no detrimental effect.

Similarly, Rain-X warns against use on plastic. As an experiment, I used it on a well worn helmet shield and it seemed to have no ill effect. But I would not dream of using it on an expensive windshield or canopy, concerned over its long term effects.

If they make a plexiglas-friendly product, I might be interested. But generally, a windshield cleaned with Pledge or Ice Detailer or any quality "wax" should bead rain quite effectively at the speeds we travel..

Over the last few days I have ordered, based on recommendations here:

Composiclean PH-neutral bucket wash

Composiclean spray wax

Turtlewax Ice spray detailer (going to compare to spray wax above)

210 Plexi cleaner recommended by Roger

12 pack of 16x16" microfiber towels

32oz Oil Eater

1 case of Aeroshell Sport +4 oil from oil-store.com

CTEK 3300 charger

I'm still looking for a source for the Rotax oil filters, anybody have a link? They are listed at ACS but when you click on the item it's a dead page. ACS is a good source for me, as it's close by and I have a card that gives me free shipping from them.

Also, the fabric bulkhead in the tailcone is missing from my plane. Does anybody have a replacement source? I'm going to get some cargo netting to use on the baggage eyelets to make sure nothing in the baggage area shifts into a bad CG area in addition.

This list should get me started. :)

Just call Spruce and either give them the filter number or just tell them you want a Rotax filter. Either will work. I'll try and remember to call Kevin at Spruce today and let him know. The cloth insert in the luggage compartment is an FD only item unless you want to sew one. You can call California Power Systems for the filter too. (They are owned by Spruce)

Leading Edge in Wisconsin is where I got my oil filters.

BTW, remember to never rub your windshield or any plexiglass in a circle like the filling station attendant does in the movies. If you end up getting any grit in there, it can end up with circular rainbow rings. Always in one direction.

I normally order oil filters from LEAF when I'm at Oshkosh because they normally have a special. That reminds me I need to check my stock. I just bought some spark plugs from ny NAPA store and paid 2.29 each. That is the best price I have ever bought them for, but I did buy 4 boxes od 10.

Should be NGK DCPR8E.

When you order them, and again when you pick them up, make sure they have "barrels" that can be unscrewed. It seems like identical part numbers and boxes sometimes do and sometimes don't.

I get mine at a local NAPA or O'Reilly's - about $2.20 each, IIRC.

Archived