Fast Taxi

FlyingMonkey

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a lot of smart sharp people here on the forum. I'm happy to listen and learn from them because I know the MFG's aren't always right or up on their technology. There are numerous people here with specialties that help compliment our knowledge on the forum. Rules & regs, electrical, mechanical, flight characteristics, ect...

Lockwood says 400x6 fits your plane

http://www.lockwood.aero/c-104-tires-tubes.aspx

AERO TRAINER 400X6, 6 PLY, ND

A REAL AIRCRAFT TIRE for your Light Sport / Ultralight plane. Designed for aircraft use, our 400-6 Aero Classic has a 4 Wide-Rib Design with a Durable Rubber Compound to Increase the Life over non aviation types. Load Rating 660 lbs. and 70 MPH Ground Speed.

Fits Flight Design CTLS Nose and Mains

CTLS Tundra nose only

Fits CTsw Mains

Fits Tecnam Nose Only

The 4.00-6 is the small tires on the mains. The 4.00-4 is the small tire for the front.

The larger tundra tires are a 6.00-6 main and its front is a 4.00-6

They all take tubes. Personally I would stick with the 6 plys. I understand they only have the 8 ply for the 4.00-4 front tire now. Spend the extra money and get the "Leak Guard" tubes. They will be worth the money. It may be time to hunt and see if we can find another source for the 4.00-4 in a 6 ply. The 8 plys are just a stiffer sidewall and a stiffer ride.

I have 6 ply and they were hard enough to get on. I wouldn't want to work with 8 ply. Besides, where are you going that you need 8 ply?

Don't forget to have some good clamps available. Minimum of three. Sometimes I feel four would be worth it.

Andy, I'd get the 6 ply as Roger recommends. The 8 ply 4.00-4 is really stiff and I suspect that this doesn't conform to the rim like the 6 ply will which helps prevent the tire from spinning on the rim (and pulling out the valve stem) during landings. The 6 ply will also be easier to wrestle with during mounting on the rim.

Wonder if others have experienced this (of COURSE Roger will have!). My friend's 2008 CTLS has Marc brakes. He's had a really bad shudder when he slows with his brakes during taxi. I originally suspected glazed pads were causing this shudder. After removing his rotors, I happened to look at the holes in these which ride on the 4 bolts. The holes appeared to be oval. I figured I better inspect the bolts too and as I suspected, these had been worn to an "hour glass" shape - a smaller diameter in the centers where the disks slid on them. I happened to have my old set of Mrc brakes, axles and wheels collecting dust in the corner of my hangar. Inspection of the holes in my disks indicated nice round holes. Inspection of my bolts showed these to have straight walls. We swapped his old Marc disks and bolts with my scrap Marc disks and bolts and his shudder went completely away. Another item which support the "get rid of the Marc's" movement.

Cool, just ordered two of the 6 ply tires and leak guard tubes. Is there any trick with the Marc brakes to getting the wheel off, disassembled, and reinstalled or do they pull right off?

About the extended hubs that fit the wheel pants, it looks like about a 17mm or 18mm open wrench to break that free?

Also the rubber isolators that go between the wheel pants and the hub/bolts are pretty worn...can I just get something similar at Ace Aviation?

Archived