Air Holes Exterior to Filter (CTSW)

mocfly

Are you talking about the stainless wire that is used to tie the mag plug, oil drain plug, and oil filter? The A&P that just did an oil change on my CTLSi and tied all three down.

They are talking about the plastic ties that hold the airfilter in place on a CTSW. Your airplane has a different airfilter system.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CTLSi,

Shame on the mechanics, brand new engine with an un-approved oil filter.

You should get that filter changed. It is un-approved by Rotax and lacks the Rotax features internally and may cost you a warranty claim. Tell the mechanic they shouldn't be using the Tempest on a Rotax engine regardless of who sells it (Spruce or CPS) and the cost difference is only $.50 cents now.

The Rotax filter used to be like all the other filters years ago. The newer filter has a softer anti drain back membrane so when the engine sits it does't leak oil past the membrane, other membranes are stiffer. The Rotax oil filter is the only one I know of that has an internal check valve. This is not the same as the by-pass and is the reason we can not pre-fill our filters any more. The by pass pressure on other filters including the Tempest is 13-15 psi and the Rotax by pass pressure is 18-22 psi.

Years ago I wrote an article and did research and back then other filters were the same except the old Rotax filter by-pass was 14-16 psi and would have said the Pure One 10214 was a better filter, but with the mods Rotax added it is now an all together different filter.

As they say on TV: "Don't be fooled by cheap imitations". :huh:

Roger - actually the CPS/Spruce difference is $0.57 whereas the CPS/CPS difference is $0.52. Every penny counts Roger. :ph34r:

Anyway, unless Lone Mountain knows something, I am surprised they would put a Tempest on a customers new plane. I wonder what their price to the customer is for the tempest. In the case of Spruce/Cps their price is Tempest $22.85 and Rotax $23.42. CPS wants another nickel for the Tempest. Plus shipping & handling of course.

Roger - I agree. I was just wondering if the dealer knows something the rest of us don't. Also am curious what they get for putting on the wrong filter vs. a Rotax. Maybe they get a better break on Tempest but don't pass it on to the customer.

As for the cost difference, I was just attempting some humor.

We don't know that the oil change was done by Lone Mountain, do we? He just said A&P, and they could be at his home airport.

My guess is that it is a throw back to being a GA mechanic, and other aircraft oil filters having a place for lockwire. They could have thought they were doing him a favor by securing the filter.

It is an interesting question. A questionable warranty has a value and gbigs takes a hard line in his business dealings.

If it were me I would be concerned because the warranty is in its infancy and the future is gamble. If this 65% new design (whatever that really means) holds up perfectly due to the 'German' master's masterful design then there is little to worry about other than an anomaly on this motor.

I've learned the hard way in the light sport world that there is not always coverage. I wish this had not have happened the remedy could be expensive and the damage to the motor non-existent.

Someone removed a Rotax filter and replaced it with a Tempest. I will be interesting to understand the thought process.

It truly is the wrong filter and not an authorized Rotax part. If FD approved this and I know they didn't then they would take the liability for the warranty, which we know they don't want. Right now looks like Lone Mnt. may be on the hook. Of course that's only if the warranty came into question as long as it's in effect. It should be the owner to make contact since he's the one at risk. I would be just an outsider and middleman. There is an SB out about unauthorized parts.

What makes you all think he is not baiting you into thinking something other than what is or has actually occurred? Most of the responses are not always true and correct. What makes a person think that this isn't the case with the current issue of whether or not his mechanic used an approved part? Would a company like Lone Mountain risk it's reputation and it's ability to work on aircraft by installing non approved parts? I doubt it. Seems more like a statement made by a person who didn't actually know what they were looking at.

Did we see a picture of the install showing the safety wired oil filter?

Seems that regardless of any help offered, a belligerent response is always returned.

Popcorn done.

My bad.

I guess they are on the hook for not installing approved parts. Thanks for that CT.

Wonder what the guys from FD have to say? Or the local FSDO?

Now that he has been advised that non approved parts have been used in a system like the motor lubrication circuit, does it make the aircraft un-airworthy? Legally, could he face FAA sanctions for knowingly flying an un-airworthy aircraft?

If there is a problem with the FAA he can get ussyorktown to help.

I would have to say that according to Service Letter SL-912-014-R3 the aircraft is not airworthy and that un airworthy condition one could say was caused by Lone Mountain. However the pilot in command of the aircraft is required to perform the preflight and determine the airworthiness of the aircraft prior to flight. In this case, if the aircraft was flown from the maintenance facility to another airport. Then the pic is responsible for flying an un airworthy aircraft without a ferry permit.

I would be curious what our pilot would tell the FAA?

3.1.2) Example of a non-genuine ROTAX® oil filter

(see fig. 4, 5 and 6)

Based on reports from the field a non-genuine ROTAX® oil filter was tested for its quality and suitability according to the ROTAX®-instructions, where following was found:

- Theoilfilterinfringesoncopyright/withoutpermissionROTAX®aROTAXENGINEType912/914label

(1) and has some serious technical deficiencies:

- no by-pass valve (2) = in case of contamination this can lead to a completely blocked oil

system

- filter insert (3): shorter than the genuine = less filter surface and reduced dirt pick-up

- no genuine ROTAX® part number

- sharp-edged inner spring (4) = this can cause wear and cracks in the filter housing

- no return-valve (5) = after switching-off the engine self-draining of the oil filter will not be

avoided. When the engine is started again it will require a longer time (less film lubrication)

until the necessary operating pressure is reached

Such an oil filter is not airworthy and should not be installed or be further used according to ROTAX®- instructions.

One other aspect...CTLSi in several threads berated those doing any of their own maintenance, including oil changes, saying that should all be left to professionals. I wonder if a third party installing unapproved and potentially damaging parts on his composite fuel-injected wonder might change his thinking on that at all?

Probably not relevant, but would the Magnuson-Moss act apply?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

It applies to "consumer products" and warranties.

In part,

"Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty. This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions, and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives."

Archived