Want to buy CTsw $70~75k

liltaka

Just came out of a horrible pre-purchase inspection...

Already planned for a trip to close the deal and owner / seller basically lied everything about the plane.

Looking for an honest seller who has been taken care of the airplane...

Prefers Dynon 100 & 120 installed...

Just came out of a horrible pre-purchase inspection...

Already planned for a trip to close the deal and owner / seller basically lied everything about the plane.

Looking for an honest seller who has been taken care of the airplane...

Prefers Dynon 100 & 120 installed...

I wish you luck. The last time I bought a used plane was a C-182 in 2003. I went through 3 pre buys each involving travel up to 1,000 miles. These were private sellers. Outright lies, shaded truth, lack of 337's or logbook entries.

One claimed minor nose gear damage typical of many 182's. Research showed it landed short at SeaTac. How the heck do you land a 182 short at SeaTac? Damage was extensive.

Another claimed NDH. But wait, why does it have two different wing spars?? Beautiful repair, just nothing in the log book.

Last guy said "corrosion free". It was a mess inside the wings. Guy said "well, for this part of the country this is pretty good".

Finally stumbled on one walking in parking at Falcon Field in AZ. Wasn't even looking but that was the one.

Don't mean to discourage. You'll find one but you have to be careful. Make sure your pre buy is done by someone familiar with make/model you are buying.

Thanks John, a little disappointed but not discouraged yet.

Few more thing...

1. I am already pre-qualified for the loan

2. Have tickets already to visit Phoenix this Saturday

But, only have 3 days to cancel this trip...

If anyone selling CTsw in AZ, I can only wait for 3 more days.

After that, I have to wait for another several weeks to a month before I can take time off again...

Don't give up, it can be done. I looked at CTs in general for probably 6-12 months and specifically talked to owners of several that didn't work out before ending up with N509CT last week. It has a D100 but gauges instead of a D120. It had 117 hours total time and is literally in like-new condition. I paid right in your price range plus expenses of the delivery pilot from Nebraska to Georgia.

The deals are out there, you just have to be patient. When you find the right one you will know it. Engage this forum to help, the CT owners and mechanics are a small enough community that a lot of the owners know each other and know what's out there and when a nice bird becomes available.

Used is not abused. Some have to sell due to medical or financial issues or they just loose interest and some just want to upgrade. There are lots of good aircraft out there and yes some that aren't to good, but that's why you have it looked over by someone that knows that make of aircraft. Everything and happiness isn't always about new. If that were true then no one would buy a house that was ever lived in, a car, a boat or many other things in life that may have been previously owned. It's all about being informed and if you don't have that specific knowledge you find someone that does. Just like someone that may come in and inspect a home before you buy.

The way you state it, that would mean that once you get your plane you are going to abuse it and no one should ever buy it when you decide to sell. That isn't usually true with high dollar items, but it can happen. In our case that's why you spend a little extra time and find a mechanic that knows what he's doing with that model aircraft and make sure he is detailed oriented to make sure your aircraft stays in good condition and keeps all paperwork up to date and detailed. Cutting corners on maint. and mechanics may save you a couple dollars up front, but it will cost you later and it could be big, just like it did for one seller yesterday.

I don't know how it compares to a new CT, but...

...in the Cirrus world, new planes often have an extended period of "bugginess". Lots of niggling problems that need to be sorted out.

To the point that, to some, a lightly used example that's been "sorted out" is sometimes seen as an advantage.

My Sky Arrow only had two small issues - ailerons that had to be "reflexed" a bit to feel right, and axle spacers that had to be replaced because modified ones had just been introduced.

"New Plane Smell" comes at a cost. Compare an $80k used CT to a $160k new one. $80k in savings can go a very long way to sort out wear or other maintenance issues that might crop up.

I treat my CTSW with a very high level of respect. It is the finest aircraft that I have ever owned 100%, I appreciate the way it flies.

When the time comes and I am done flying I will not sell this airplane, I will instead bestow it on someone that will continue to appreciate it as I do.

Looks like all this is an academic discussion from the original post. I think Taka may have just purchased a very nicely equipped well maintained 2006 CTSW. I won't know for sure for a day or two. He'll hopefully then be part of our growing family here on the forum. He and his wife are learning to be Sport Pilots. Good for them!

Basically, Roger saved us from the disastrous situation. He is nothing but "amazing" in my book...without meeting face to face, he just took our "disaster" situation into "The Best" purchasing experience...in less than 5 days...unbelievable. What are you? Who are you? Michael Jordan in 4th quarter? Who can do that?...especially we are talking about purchasing aircraft. I still can't wrap my head around what happened right now.. We were in a terrible situation only 5 days ago, Roger turned the situation around in less than 24 hours. Then, now we are in the best hands...on top of that, previous owner (Bill) is a such a nice person to talk to & work with...

P.S. - my agent who tried to sell the other CTSW told me "Roger is too picky"...What? Are you out of your mind? It's our lives at stake! Roger is the only one who looked after our interest for the entire time. THANK YOU SIR! - sorry I am still stuck on MJ since we are from Chicago...

Basically, Roger saved us from the disastrous situation. He is nothing but "amazing" in my book...without meeting face to face, he just took our "disaster" situation into "The Best" purchasing experience...in less than 5 days...unbelievable. What are you? Who are you? Michael Jordan in 4th quarter? Who can do that?...especially we are talking about purchasing aircraft. I still can't wrap my head around what happened right now.. We were in a terrible situation only 5 days ago, Roger turned the situation around in less than 24 hours. Then, now we are in the best hands...on top of that, previous owner (Bill) is a such a nice person to talk to & work with...

P.S. - my agent who tried to sell the other CTSW told me "Roger is too picky"...What? Are you out of your mind? It's our lives at stake! Roger is the only one who looked after our interest for the entire time. THANK YOU SIR! - sorry I am still stuck on MJ since we are from Chicago...

Agree with everything you said.

Archived