Do I need a tire change?

FlyingMonkey

So, the answer would be there is no FAA accepted practice, or FD presciprion for balancing tires/wheels. The question came from a long-time pilot and experimental builder when I mentioned it to him. He does not do any balancing for his Long E-Z although he certainly could legally do it as experimental.

Does FD balance wheels/tires from the factory/assembly? There was no sign of any balancing done to my 2010 CTLS.

Oh, and for you fast landing folks. If you have the Desser 4x6.00 the limit printed on the tire is 70 mph (not kts).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I highly doubt FD will give an LOA for Dyna beads. The factory would have to test them for a period of time. Dyna beads have been around forever and talked about on every forum that has a wheel involved (like my Honda Goldwing forum). I have read about them on all kinds of forums for many years. There is a reason these have never become the cure all or a main stream replacement for weights on anything with tires. If they were as good as the website described every tire Mfg,, wheel owner, repair shop and car Mfg would have them or at least tout them.

If you decide to use them then how will you decide how many ounces to use? What machine can check the balance or how will you be able to tell if they are truly balanced?.

You can read about them all over the web. Some like them some don't, but there isn't any large testing organizations proving there worth. There are hundreds of pages on Dyna beads on the web.

Some say cow magnets on fuel lines increase fuel mileage. I won't be going out anytime soon for those either.

I bet you can't tell I'm not a Dyna Bead fan. ;)

Archived