GoPro 3 Silver - On Sale $279

NC Bill

I paid full boat for the silver over the holidays.

The black is capable of more frames per second and higher resolution. Most things we watch are at 24 fps, so the 30 fps of the silver is fine. The 60 fps of the silver allows smoother slow motion as its main advantage.

The higher resolution of the black is also wasted in the formats most of us use - YouTube videos and the like.

But, if cost is no object, the black would be nice. It also includes a remote in case you don't have an iPhone to run the GoPro app.

For mounting, the RAM ball adapter is great if you're already invested in the RAM ecosystem. The tripod adapter is handy if you have a tripod.

And you probably will want to spend the $50 for the Battery BackPak.

Whichever modl you decide on, I predict you'll be very happy.

Here's a wing location I liked:

If you check out my channel, you'll find a location above the canopy, one on the rear skid and another mounted on a helmet.

Of course, I have no prop out front to worry about.

And just be aware that external mounting of a camera may be of questionable legality unless you're Experimental, and beware of unintended aerodynamic consequences and/or what effect a camera coming loose would have.

At Oshkosh I went to a presentation from the owner of Airbornesensor. He has an STC for certain planes for a housing that attaches to the underbelly of the plane. His camera of choice is the GoPro 3 Silver and the housing fits 4 of them. See his website for some video. The cost is prohibative I'm guessing for CTLS owners but he did say he was going to look at the feasibility of selling it for CTLS use. I don't think he has an STC yet for any composite plane (needs to figure out how to attach) and his first composite I'm sure will be Cirrus. The video on his website though should give you a sense of quality achievable with the Silver with an outside installation.

http://www.airbornesensor.com/

Eddie, is that the stock GoPro suction mount you are using? Any issues with it not staying in place?

No, its a RAM mount locking suction cup. It has not come loose, but I always have a secondary method of securing - usually a short tether or a secondary ty-wrap or something.

Archived