Frequent Inner Tube Failures

Steven

I asked Dave from FDUSA on the tire pressures for 6.00-6, quoted below:

Roger Lee told me that tire pressure in 6.00-6 tires should be 24-28 psi (with 25-26 being a good zone), and 32 that we have been running is way too high.

(I oopsied on the 25-26 instead of saying 26-27, but anyways)

He had this to say:

Would you like your students to experience a firm ride or bend a rim?

With the higher pressure there's no way the tube will slip.

Now if your students are Ballooning back into the air then check your instructor's teaching. With all the run way available and an instant go around capability, why force a landing?

To which I replied as follows (BLASTED QUOTE LIMIT)

We are very strict on go arounds these days. If the landing doesnt stick, or the stall horn sounds, they have to go around.

Anyways I am gathering that it is up to us what we put in, and there are pros and cons to either. I figured Roger has a valid point that the tundras should run a little deflated or it puts more stress on the struts. If you have any other ideas, let me know!

I supposed that it becomes a question of, are we dealing with a private owner, or students and rentals?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over 1600 landings on my CTSW after switching to Matco master cylinder, wheels, axles and brakes for main gear (Tundra) with Desser Monster 600-6 6ply, inflated to 27psi. No concerns noted while operating at ambient temps running from 100+F down to -15F.

Anticept, with the problems you've had with wheels, definitely consider going with Matco. Roger can advise but I believe you can keep the FD Master cylinder and save some money by installing only Matco wheels and brakes. The money saved might not justify foregoing the improved brake performance the Matco master cylinder provides due to the higher line pressure it generates.

Side note: Expect to replace the bolt/pins that locate the Marc brake disks if you have accumulated a lot of hours. This wear will show up as brake shudder during one particular speed during taxi where a resonance is hit. My friend's CTLS had tremendous brake shudder. Examination of his brakes showed the pins had the centers worn where they contacted the disk. The disk holes also were ovaled somewhat. I inspected my old Marc pins from my removed Marc system which had less than 200 hours. The pins looked OK so the mechanic replaced my friend's worn pins with these. The shudder went away - for the time being. These parts aren't cheap, especially the rotors.

Side note: Expect to replace the bolt/pins that locate the Marc brake disks if you have accumulated a lot of hours. This wear will show up as brake shudder during one particular speed during taxi where a resonance is hit. My friend's CTLS had tremendous brake shudder. Examination of his brakes showed the pins had the centers worn where they contacted the disk. The disk holes also were ovaled somewhat. I inspected my old Marc pins from my removed Marc system which had less than 200 hours. The pins looked OK so the mechanic replaced my friend's worn pins with these. The shudder went away - for the time being. These parts aren't cheap, especially the rotors.

To help alleviate that, I clean and grease the pins monthly. Brake cleaner on a shoelace, followed by a smidgin of disc brake lube on the pins with a Q-Tip.

I started doing that after I found the pins corroded to the point that the rotor was binding:

7425315314_30508a879c_z.jpg

So far about 400 hours with no appreciable ovaling or pin wear.

I run 27 in my 6.00-6 tires and I guarantee they will never slip and haven't in 7 years nor has anyone else I have ever heard of in a CT. The won't slip even down at 20 psi. These tires are not the same profile as the 4.00-6. The 6.00-6 are rated to much higher weights. The tires don't cause ballooning that is poor landing technique. Shame on them for suggesting that. If that was the case very Cub or extra large 22" tire aircraft would balloon everyone of these guys back in the air with only 5-7 psi. The difference in their advise and ours is we have collectively have many tens of thousands of hours of landing experience. They don't.

Tire almost never slip on the mains unless unbelievably low. The front tire is different because of the turning on the ground and scrubing action and side wall flex on the front tire when low. keep the front above 30 and up to 35 psi and you'll never have a front slip either.

• 2 months later...

After installing new tires and tubes during the recent bad weather I was shocked to find the pax side tire flat. I immediately figured I pinched the tube and got to work pulling off the tire and removing the tube.

After filling the tube with air I was taken back when the usually loud hiss of escaping air was not heard as the tire was filled. I filled the sink and decided to see what was going on when I saw this!

http://youtu.be/hRpevYRrWoc

Mind you this is a brand new tube, purchased from a reputable source.

One more thing to check prior to installation required. I do cycle the tube with air to remove the folds and condition the tube prior to installation.

As an aside, for insurance its a good idea to always use a valve cap that seals with an o-ring, and to snug it down.

That should provide some backup to a faulty or loose valve core.

I remember as a kid, putting Permatex on the cap threads and screwing down a metal cap to "fix" a leaky valve.

Archived